G4 quicksilver tower not responding...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seenemo, Dec 30, 2009.

1. seenemo macrumors newbie

So I have a g4 quicksilver tower. The on button shows power, the 17" apple studio display shows power, but nothing else happens... I'm not sure were to look next?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Are the fans running? Has the computer ever worked or did you get an as-is computer from eBay or somewheres?

3. seenemo thread starter macrumors newbie

The comp has bin running for years. The fans don't come on, nothing but the on light, and the display light comes on when I push the button.. It's an apple display so the power comes from the computer..

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Mine recently did the same, I also had some nasty noises coming from the PSU, so I pronounced mine dead.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, this is sounding like a PSU problem to me too, but that'll probably be more money and work than it's worth to fix unless you're keeping it alive for your own whim.

7. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

One thing you can try is to unplug the computer and then push the power button and hold it down for thirty seconds. Plug it back in and try powering it on once again.... let me know how that works out!

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"So I have a g4 quicksilver tower. The on button shows power, the 17" apple studio display shows power, but nothing else happens... I'm not sure were to look next?"

Have you checked the internal motherboard battery? They do run down in time. I believe it is a 3.6 volt lithium "half-aa" size. They can be found at Radio Shack (part number used to be 23-026), or online for a little less money.

Before you replace the battery, look for the Power Management reset button. It's a small red button in a square black casing, probably near the battery holder. Press it ONE time and hold it down for about 30 seconds. Then try booting again. This worked for me one time with what seemed to be a "dead" computer, snapped it right back to life.

9. njean777 macrumors 6502

like other people said your psu might have went out. Unless you want to spend the money it might be time to upgrade.:D

10. seenemo thread starter macrumors newbie

It's actually a computer I gave to my ex-gf. I'll give all the suggestions a try, but she isn't into spending money on computers...

11. seenemo thread starter macrumors newbie

I reset the power supply and it booted right away, but just in case I'm gonna replace the battery, thanks for all the help