Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chisholm

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Help! I'm spec-ing out an Apple G4 server for work. I need to find a place that sells the rack mount kit for it. I've found the kit a few times before, just can't find it now...It's the kit where you remove all 4 top and bottom handles and screw the rack to it somehow or another.

Cheers thanks!
John

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
OK, I have to ask. Why not use an XServe if you need to rack mount your server?

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Marathon makes good rackmounts and all, but they're damn expensive. Even the little ears that replace the top/bottom plastic handles on the pm. I wish there was an alternative. I would have racked my PM a long time ago if there was one. I would have stuck it in my music studio rack and saved some space.

Chisholm

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Originally posted by gbojim
OK, I have to ask. Why not use an XServe if you need to rack mount your server?

That my friend is a perfectly logical question.

1. I don't want to pay anyone, even Apple $315 for a 60GB drive or $450 for a 120GB drive.

2. They don't offer the option (that I'm aware of) of buying extra drive trays.

3. I've heard they are QUITE loud. My mirror mac is humming to me now, any louder and I'd have to put it on the floor. This machine will be number 9 in my office. The radio I keep on can only drown out so many screaming hard drives.

4. The cost. I can get a dual 1gig for $700 cheaper than the single 1gig Xserve.

And yes Marathon racks are a little pricey, but they seem to have the corner on the market for the time being. Seems anyone with a little metal working skill could make a similar set of ears for ~$50 or so.

cheers!

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I didn't realize apple didn't include trays for additional drives. Also you'll be spending 200 to 600 on the rackmount solutions from Marathon. So if you do the full conversion then you'll only save 100 instead of the 700. However, I agree, the noise would be terrible. Too bad you can't keep the machines in another room or a sound dampening cabinet.

Chisholm

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Not any use in a full conversion here. I'm just going to buy the rack kit and the rail bundle for $300. And did I mention I'm getting the SuperDuperDrive? Xserve doesn't give it as an option. My users don't have huge files to store on the server, mostly Office type stuff and email. I love being able to make permanant optical backups and store them in a drawer next to me.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Chisholm
Not any use in a full conversion here. I'm just going to buy the rack kit and the rail bundle for $300. And did I mention I'm getting the SuperDuperDrive? Xserve doesn't give it as an option. My users don't have huge files to store on the server, mostly Office type stuff and email. I love being able to make permanant optical backups and store them in a drawer next to me.
At least this route you can throw in a scsi or ide card if you need more drive speed or space etc. SuperDuperDrice---->NICE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.