G4 RAM Installation Question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Darthzilla, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Darthzilla macrumors member

So I have the 1 GHZ Imac G4 Flat Panel...I LOVE this machine.

I recently put Tiger on him and I'm thinking of expanding from my current 768 MB of ram to a full Gig.

Question. Is it as easy as buying another 512 chip and installing myself ? OR will I have to go to an Apple store so that the 256 chip can be replaced ? ...Which it seems is what I woud have to do..If I'm reaidng correctly.

Also...How much would they charge to install if I have to do that ?

Thanks in advance.

- M

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Why pay someone $$$ to do something you can do yourself in a few minutes ?? waste of cash IMO......

Plus you dont have to hassle with uplugging everything, lugging you mac to the shop, then w a i t i n g to get it done, and lugging it back home & reconnecting everything :D

But regardless, when upgrading ram, mAxItOuT!!!!

3. Alienbrain macrumors member

Alienbrain

Do not pay someone to install the RAM

If I remember correctly there is only one slot for RAM in the iMac G4. Take a look at this site Edge has some great memory, and all of it has a lifetime warranty on it. http://www.edgetechcorp.com/store/Products/Apple/iMac-G4/1^per0GHz-17_inch-(DDR)/ this site will show you all of the memory you can add in the system. Remember only one module will fit in the machine.

As far as installing it goes, it is really basic for the most part. I think if you go to Apple.com there should be something on there showing you show do it.

Good Luck.

4. Darthzilla thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link :)

I thought i would have to repace the internal 256 with a 512..

but if its as easy as pulling the 512 out and putting in a gig...the its super simple !

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Smurf: in this case, the machine has 2 RAM sockets, one easily accessible and one up inside the dome. For the internal socket, if you don't follow the correct procedure for disassembly and reassembly, and reapply the thermal grease, you stand a good chance of &*ing up the machine. So in this instance, paying a qualified tech might be worth it

Darth, the user accessible socket takes a 1 Gb PC2700 SODIMM like most Powerbook G4 Aluminum do (despite Apple's spec saying it can only take a 512). That one you can change yourself easy. The internal socket is a DIMM, and that's best left to a technician.

6. Darthzilla thread starter macrumors member

So If I am understanding you correcting,If I want i can swap out the easily accesible 512 chip for a single gig chip and move along my merry way ?

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yup. Quite merrily - if not actually giddily.

8. Darthzilla thread starter macrumors member