g4 randomly shuts off! help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bliss42, Dec 31, 2009.

1. bliss42 macrumors newbie

I bought my ibook g4 off a friend who said that he had to "giggle the imput jack when charging sometimes." Now not onlydo I have to jam a book under the jack while charging to get a connection but if its not plugged in it will randomly shut off. I have been having the same problem with my old ipod mini and figured it was the battery and replaced it but now it will only stay on if the charger is plugged in. Any advice?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

reset the PMU since you changed batteries.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431

Also I recommend replacing the power adapter. I had the same problem with having to jiggle it.

3. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

In addition to replacing the power adaptor, I had to replace the AC input card, the part that has the port you plug your jack into on my Macbook thanks to the kids yanking the cord too many times.

It was a little bit of work, but the part was inexpensive on ebay and definitely worth the effort to get a solid power connection to the macbook.

4. familystories macrumors newbie

ibook shutting off

I posted my problem a couple of weeks ago. My problem with my daughter's ibook sounds very much like what is happening to you. Ever since buying the computer used we had to jiggle the connector to make a good connection. We bought an off-brand power supply that seemed to connect better but it didn't have the light to tell you whether you were charging or not. And the computer would sometimes just turn off and we had no idea why. I took the machine apart and checked out the ac input board to see if there was an loose connection but it seemed fine. I also cut away some of the plastic around the input connector so the power supply, the original, could make a better connection. It worked for a short while and I thought the problem was fixed when it started to shut down again whether plugged in or not. I got a response to my posting saying there is a problem with the logic board in these ibooks, the solder cracks at some pins. They gave me a link to a possible repair but it's complicated. I'll try it if I can get my friend who's good with a soldering iron to have a go at it. Don't know if any of this helps but as Bill Clinton would say, I feel your pain.