G4 Sawtooth Upgrade

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by finnschi, Jan 24, 2010.

1. finnschi macrumors 6502

I still own a G4 sawtooth(AGP GFX) I already upgraded Ram to 1Gb and my HDD to 180Gb , I want it to serve as a Jukebox for my living room :rolleyes:

That Is why I want it to be able to run Front row on it (remote controlled via iPhone :)

BUT , its too slow for 10.5 (I know there is a way around the MhZ limitation.. but it still won't run Frontrow)

I also tried to use a hacked install of Frontrow for tiger, but i soon found out that my Mac can't handle CI & QE :( (also neccesary for Photobooth which I would like to run with my old Firewire iSight :D

So since my baby only has 400 Mhz I want to ramp this up to something more speedy (on the cheap of course) and some people sell used CPU's from other G4's like the Dual G4's 1,2 Ghz (from the Mirrored Drive Doors one) or some 900mhz G4 from the quicksilver for really cheap, and since I found upgrade cards from 3rd parties online that had 2x 1.8 Ghz I am guessing that all G4's will fit into my mac? if not which will work?

Then I will also need a new video card, which is the cheapest one that I can get that will run QE&CI ? I only need Frontrow to work :cool:

thx

2. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

CPUs from PowerMacs that fast are not compatible with your Mac's motherboard, a new processor will run you about $200 which is not worth it since you can buy a newer, faster PowerMac for that price, same goes for the graphics card, It just costs too much.

3. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

I Found a Quicksilver Logic board + 733Mhz CPU + Geforce 2MX for 30€ :eek: you think my PSU will be able to handle that? and will a MX2 run QE/CI?

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

The Sawtooth is rated around 200 watts, the QS 360 watts so I would say no on the PS. I've read that NVidea might have a problem with QE.
    http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24431

I did put a Sonnett 1ghz G4 in a Sawtooth and it ran Leopard, sometimes lagging a bit.

5. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

Your current case will most likely not fit the logic board properly unless you are willing to mod it.

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Youd be much better off with an upgrade from Sonnet or similar. Any other logic board such as a Quicksilver will not fit. Especially as it has 5 slots - whereas your G4 only has 4 (1 AGP and 3 PCI instead of the 1AGP and 4PCI of the Digital Audio and later). Fitting a new logic board would also require modding as the physical mounting pins are in different places - so its basically impossible or a very difficult mod. It would be easier just to purchase a G4 QS or MDD IMHO.