Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aaron Miles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Tonight, my wife's iBook G4 (a hand-me-down) started having problems with its screen: a white triangle has appeared in the lower right corner, obscuring maybe 10% of the screen. There are also a few vertical lines of various colors. So my questions are these:

What happened?

Is it worth fixing? Or will it cost so much that we'd be better off putting that money toward a new lappy?

Thanks!

Update:
Tonight, when my wife went to use the computer, the (rest of the) screen went blue.

I'm guessing it's time for a funeral....

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
Tonight, my wife's iBook G4 (a hand-me-down) started having problems with its screen: a white triangle has appeared in the lower right corner, obscuring maybe 10% of the screen. There are also a few vertical lines of various colors. So my questions are these:

What happened?

Is it worth fixing? Or will it cost so much that we'd be better off putting that money toward a new lappy?

Thanks!

Can you post a photo of the screen?

In any case, if the iBook is out of warranty and it turns out to be a hardware issue (like the logic board), repairing it would be costly. So yeah, in that case I would consider buying a new laptop.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Sounds like the lcd has a crack. If that's the case, you can pick up a replacement on ebay.

Aaron Miles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Thanks, guys, two good thoughts. I'm attaching a snap of the screen. Warranty is long gone, so we're on our own.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    421.3 KB · Views: 77

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
Thanks, guys, two good thoughts. I'm attaching a snap of the screen. Warranty is long gone, so we're on our own.

Yup, looks cracked to me. You could buy a replacement screen on ebay or ifixit.com and try to replace it yourself, as someone else mentioned (iFixit has instructions as well), but it depends on how much you want to spend on an older computer.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Yeah that's most likely a cracked LCD as I've never seen that problem with an ibook with the faulty motherboard. You'll either get no video at all or a completly unseeable screen with lots of different colored lines.

Was the screen stuck at all or something dropped on the top cover while it was closed? If you do want to get it fixed PM me as I have a few extra LCDs but only if your's is a 12" model. (looking at your screen closer, it does look like a 12"er and the black splotches says it is a busted LCD')

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.