G4 to new Apple iMac 24", 2 Duo 2.9 GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ginger356, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ginger356 macrumors newbie

I have just bought an Apple iMac off a friend
    24", 2 Duo 2.9 GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB, 10.5.6 leopard

I currently have a Power Mac G4 533 MHz Mac OS X 10.3.9

The new iMac has a few programs I'd like to keep on it, but I would like to copy my main settings (ie. internet, email, print drivers, music, pics etc) to my new imac.

Can I do this without losing programs on the iMac but without copying all of the G4 programs over?

comments / help appreciated

thanks

2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

While you can certainly do this with migration assistant and target disk mode I'd advise against it in your situation. You should look which programms of your G4 are universal and which ones are PowerPC only, and look for newer versions of the PowerPC ones. One or 2 PPC apps won't do much harm, but if you have a couple of PPC apps running it will slow down your shiny new iMac significantly.

I'd just copy music, pics, email, etc. and look for newer, universal programms.

3. ginger356 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but...

How do I copy over my...
    Email Settings?
    Bookmarks?
    Print Drivers?

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Shut down your G4. Connect your G4 with your iMac using a firewire cable. Start the G4 and push the button "T" on the G4s keyboard. It should show up just like an external HD now on the iMac. Start the programm "migration assistant" on the iMac. It should be in the utility folder in the programm folder. Follow the steps in the assistant, but don't copy programms like I mentioned before.