G4 Tower Help (please)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Keniff, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

A friend of mine has an old G4 Tower (August 2002 release) with the matching 17" Flat screen...
    He's saying that when he turns it on via the 'sensitive touch button' on the screen (and on the actual machine), the light goes on, and then off!

I told him to unplug everything (mouse, keyboard, main power) and then re-plug it back in, which he did, and I talked him through the whole 'Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM' Like This but when he touches the 'sensitive touch button' it just lights up and then go off again!

Anyone got any ideas what this issue maybe, before I send him to the mac doctor?

Thanks in advance if you can help....

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Does just the tower button do the same thing (instead of the screen button)? If so, sounds like something may be shorting out.

3. Keniff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Yeah, on the machine as well...
    I've never heard of such an issue, but like you say, maybe it's just shorting out somewhere...

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Try having him unplug it from the wall, remove the motherboard battery, and push the power button on the front of the tower (it should light briefly while it bleeds down the capacitors). Let it sit like that for about 10 minutes, put the battery back in, push the CUDA button on the motherboard once, plug it into the wall, and try it.

I once saw a G4 tower that displayed exactly the symptom you're describing, and the above "extreme reset" fixed it when nothing else did. If that doesn't work, then I'll go with the bad power supply (or other short) theory.

5. iLoveiMacs macrumors member

iLoveiMacs

dejavu!

omg, the same thing is happening to my Power Mac G4! i've done just about everything to fix it, help would be appreciated! :confused:

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. Keniff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Hey you two, thankyou so much for you in depth knowledge, and this really sounds like the root of the problem.

Is there a web-page you can direct me to that will give me a walk through guide on how he can do this, or if you could explain to me in Laymans Terms how I actually do this?
    So I can pass on the info, or maybe just go over there and fix the issue, I'd be very grateful?

Much respects,

K.

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

The procedure is pretty much as I described it:

1) Unplug the tower from the wall.
    2) Open the side and locate the battery on the motherboard that folds out in front of you; it's a 1/2 length AA and is the only thing that looks anything like a battery on there. Removing it should be pretty obvious.
    3) Push the power button on the front of the computer. This is to drain any power left in the computer; the button will probably light up briefly; this is normal.
    4) Leave it sitting there for at least 10 minutes. I've heard of people having luck with 24 hours instead of a few minutes, but I'm skeptical that'll make any difference so long as you press the power button after unplugging it.
    5) Put the battery back in the same direction you removed it.
    6) Push the CUDA button; this Apple Support document explains:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1939
    7) Plug it back in, turn it on, and hope for the best.

It's also possible that replacing that battery could help; the computer will usually work even if it's dead (although the clock will be reset if you ever unplug it), but I've seen some that just plain refuse to start when it's dead. You can find them at RadioShack or somewhere similar for about $5; Google will help you find the exact one, or you can just bring it in and find one with the same size and voltage.

9. Keniff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Thankyou sir, I'm very grateful for your help

10. Keniff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Hello Lucy,

I really have no idea what you're talking about "Spelt with a photograph"?!
    I've re-read this thread a few times, and I can't find the word "Coat" and why should somebody want to rhyme it with bought?

I can only assume you're on some strong medication or maybe something more recreational, like LSD?

Either way, I (and maybe other members of this Forum) have no idea what you're talking about, but thankyou very much for your input.

Much respects,

K.