G4 tower rackmount

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cunninglinguist, Feb 2, 2015.

1. cunninglinguist macrumors newbie

Hey folks. A number of years ago I remember Marathon Computer put out a handle kit for the G3 towers (of course it worked with the G4 towers as well) that allowed the machine to be placed into a 19 inch rack. I've googled around for days without much in the way of solid results.

I have need of some sort of kit for my G4 tower I just picked up to run some old software. Does anyone have recommendations? I think it may be futile, unfortunately.

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

3. cunninglinguist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I did actually run across the apple fritter thread. I did not see the other link, though. Hm, more digging. I truly wish I was handy with metal working, it seems like a fairly simple item to fabricate.

4. tampasteve, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015

tampasteve macrumors 6502

5. cunninglinguist, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015

cunninglinguist thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, that's an interesting proposition. Can you PM me details? Something about your username makes me feel like it would have to traverse the entire country, though! :(

The last link is exactly what I was looking for. EDIT: er, wait, no this wouldn't work. It needs to be the the G-rack "horizontal" Boo. EDIT YET AGAIN: nevermind. YES, these will work. Purchased! These are indeed rare.

6. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Awesome! It's cool when people here can help each other out. Nice find catzilla!

7. cunninglinguist thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed! Awesome folks here, apparently :D

8. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

welcome to the community of PPC collectors! If your new to collecting, remember to clean out your house, because your going to need a lot of space for all the computers you will soon collect :p

9. cunninglinguist thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a decent collection before I moved. Unfortunately I was not able to keep most of them :(

I'm collecting with "purpose" now. All things server themed! I feel like they don't get enough love. Apple was never truly known for being active in the enterprise, which to me makes it all the more special to have said server products.

Not to ramble, but my current active server is a 2009 Mac Pro, definitely not PPC of course, but hopefully it'll keep chuggin' as long as these PPC machines. Absolutely amazing that 15+ years later you can still pick up a G4 and it works. :eek: