G4 Virtualization

Discussion in 'macOS' started by littlerich, Feb 1, 2008.

1. littlerich macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Just a quick question, i have a G4 mac mini 1.25 with 256mb ram & 40gb 4200 rpm drive and need to study an exam for work however the learning app is native windows! so i was planning on sticking 1gb ram & 80gb 7200 drive inside to speed her up a bit & then install parallels to run windows. however i've only just realised parallels is intel only so is virtual pc my only option here? is it even worth spending £90 to upgrade it?

cheers
    Rich

2. mroseneo macrumors member

I think that Virtual PC 7 is your best bet. I would recommend that you acquire it by other means :cool: I follow a strict policy of never purchasing MS products. Anyways, you will need Windows 2000 for it as that is what runs best. XP is possible but very slow. There are some other emulators that you can get for free. http://www.kju-app.org/kju/ is one, but I have not had the chance to try it out. Win 2000 is going to be best for all of these.

Also, here is another site that lists all the PowerPC based emulators. http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html . There are a few other commercial ones.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Virtual PC 7 will work on G4, fairly slowly (I think 10% to 20% speed) even for non-demanding apps.

Depends on your budget and the app, it might be better to upgrade and get CrossOver (if it works with it) or bootcamp. Works much better that way.

4. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Bootcamp and Crossover are Intel only, so they will not work on a Mac Mini G4.

To the OP: Perhaps you can take your program to the local library to run on one of their computers. It's worth a shot if $$$ is important.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

oops, when I meant upgrade I meant getting an intel mac.

6. littlerich thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses guys. will check out all options and might even resort to buying a ******** pc for £100 to get the job done! been 7 months waiting patiently for new mbp :-(

7. Pees330 macrumors 6502

For my iBook I used GuestPC. It did a pretty good job when I wanted to play some online poker on it. It's similar to Virtual PC, but I got it because it was a little cheaper at the time. I'm sure you can get it for pretty cheap now.