G4 wants to shut down after sleeping

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by brianpgraphics, Mar 25, 2008.

1. brianpgraphics macrumors newbie

My aging G4 Quicksilver is still very operable yet have had mysterious problems with mouse tracking, USB ports not being recognized and now the machine wants to shut off after being asleep for some time. Someone suggested that it could be a voltage regulation problem, but service personnel have not been able to duplicate the problem with a bench test. In short, when I have a startup problem (the startup button will start to glow, at startup and then the light goes out and the machine fails to boot) or if I find the machine turned off after I left it to sleep at night or a few hours during the day, I will open the case and shut it. This little nudge seems to be a temperary fix. Nervous it does make me that my time is short with this trusty box. any ideas?

2. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

Do you have any thrid party hardware in the machine for example, upgrade CPU card, PCI cards, non-apple ram, etc?

-iGrant

3. brianpgraphics thread starter macrumors newbie

Machine is set-up as it was when I bought it except for new RAM chips:
    3 slots + 1GB Ram; PC2600 chips. I tested each chip one at a time with no results. I run 2 HD in the machine and have a Firewire LaCie external drive hooked in. Machine ran fine up until this past few months. no changes that I remember causing the problem.

4. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

What are the two internal hard-drives? Who makes them and what not, this might be related to the hard-drives or your one of your memory chips could be going bad.

Go to here http://www.memtestosx.org/ and download the MemTest and run it. If it passes then it is defiantly not your memory. The tool is worth the 1.39 its going to cost you! Download it and back it up!

Thanks
    iGrant