G4 won't reboot-stuck on "PreferenceSyncClient"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sandiegomike, Jul 28, 2008.

1. sandiegomike macrumors newbie

My G4 laptop is stuck on the spinning wheel with a placard that says "PreferenceSyncClient" did not exit normally. No response to the "ignore" or "restart" options on the placard. I forced a shutdown with the on-off button several times but the computer is still hung up. No luck on the Apple website support. I will appreciate any suggestions.
    Mike in SanDiego

2. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Remove the battery. After a while put battery back in. Then use AC adapter. Then put OS X install DVD/CD in optical drive. Reboot holding down the C button. Reinstall OS using Archive and Install. All hopefully should be well after that. If not, you likely have a logic board, ram, or hard drive issue.

3. sandiegomike thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to spinne1

Thanks spinne1. I will give the procedure you describe a try. Are my stored files and siftware at risk during this process?

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

No, but without backup ALL your files and software are at risk all the time.

5. sandiegomike thread starter macrumors newbie

Successful Re-Install

spinne1 - thank you for the explicit directions. I followed them and got a successful re-install. We have .mac (now MobileMe) backing up our G4 and G5 but I recently purchased an external hard drive just to be assured of full backup. (BTW my wife was born in Paris, TN and her uncle, Buddy Kennedy, lived in Hermitage for 40 years. A beautiful place.)
    Mike