G4FanControl still doesn't work

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
So, I thought I'd give this app another try and wasn't disappointed in finding that it's useless again.

Here is the main screen whenever I open it.

G4FanControl 0.6.1.png

As you can see, it registers no temperature sensors despite my A1013 having at least three (CPU, Power Supply and Drive).

Ramping up the sensors to turn on at a specificed temp has absolutely no effect. Fans kick in at 140º which is the normal set point for PowerBook G4s.

Quit the app, reopen it and these temp sliders have all moved back to zero.

I have absolutely no idea what the difference is for those of you out there that this app works for but yet again it does not work for me.

With apologies to those who use it (and it works for them) I cannot help but think this is one of the biggest gimmicks out there.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
So, I thought I'd give this app another try and wasn't disappointed in finding that it's useless again.

Here is the main screen whenever I open it.

View attachment 822328

As you can see, it registers no temperature sensors despite my A1013 having at least three (CPU, Power Supply and Drive).

Ramping up the sensors to turn on at a specificed temp has absolutely no effect. Fans kick in at 140º which is the normal set point for PowerBook G4s.

Quit the app, reopen it and these temp sliders have all moved back to zero.

I have absolutely no idea what the difference is for those of you out there that this app works for but yet again it does not work for me.

With apologies to those who use it (and it works for them) I cannot help but think this is one of the biggest gimmicks out there.

Odd. I've never owned a 17", but I've had good experiences using G4 Fan Control on 12" & 15" PowerBooks. Beats me!

Project Alice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I've had this issue as well. It only seems to work on Leopard on my 15" aluminum. It doesn't work in Tiger for some reason. I haven't tried it on either of my 12"s yet. Definitely does not work on the Titanium.

Reactions: eyoungren

bobesch

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Oh, G4FanControl is a life-saver on my 12"PB and it also works on my 17"PB fairy well (but since there's much more space to get rid of heat on the 15 and 17" books , the app isn't mission-critical on the 15/17" devices)
PB17Specs.png

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Just checked on the TiBookG4 1.0GHz.
Neither "G4FanControl" nor another temperatur-monitoring app seems to be able to get access to any temperature-sensors.
Seems Apple didn't pay much attention on temperature and fans etc. in the dawn of early OSX-capable hardware ...

Attachments

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
The one commonality here seems to be the 7447 processor in all the PowerBooks where G4 Fan Control works. The A1013 17" and every TiBook had 7455's.

Just a guess, and I can't imagine why it would be that way, but there it is.

EDIT: Ok, not every TiBook had a 7455, only the later ones did. However, none of the TiBooks ever had a 7447. Seems that among the aluminum PB's, only the first generation 12" and 17" had anything else but a 7447 (and they both had 7455's). For what it's worth.