G5 2.5 Quad core running with a single G5 2.0

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sseguin613, Nov 6, 2011.

1. sseguin613 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a Apple Power Macintosh G5 "Quad Core" (2.5) Specs

Identifiers: Late 2005 - M9592LL/A

I acquired it from someone at work. They had replaced the two dual core processors 2.5 with a single 2.0 as the original ones had overheating issues.

As a result, there are red leds on the motherboard that are lit, I guess due to there only being one processor connected.

The machine seems to run perfectly fine. My question is if I can go on eBay and buy a second processor (G5 Dual core 2.0) to attach to the board?
    So have two of the same processor

Please let me know. And would there be a noticable speed increase?

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

It's possible but not with 2.0 stock heatsinks. They're too big to fit both at once IMO (I didn't try it myself though). See how big one is.
    [​IMG]

If original ones did overheat, there was a problem with LCS, not with CPUs - presumably the pump. LCS rebuild and using 2.5 CPUS will be better (and more performance-effective) than trying to fit another 2.0.

3. W123 macrumors newbie

How did you thermally calibrate a non-standard configuration? Or are you "tolerating" the fans running at full speed?

4. nickjf20 macrumors member

I have a pair of working 2.0 GHz processors that will fit side by side :cool:.

They were pulled from a working 2GHZ DP machine, along with a 9600 xt graphics card, gig of ram and mobo.

I'll be putting them on eBay shortly, but I'd prefer to send them to someone on the forums if the price was right.

So basically, I'm selling a matched pair of 2.0GHz processors ... interested ? :D