G5 2.5GHz vs. Intel 2.66GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SnowX, Jan 21, 2009.

1. SnowX macrumors newbie

My G4 just isn't up to the task anymore. I need to upgrade. I can get my hands on a new (non-current model) G5 or a mac pro. Just wondering what you guys thought I should go for. I will be running Adobe CS3 (eventually 4) Design suite and some web stuff (DW, Flash). The trick is, I can purchase the G5 for $999 or the Mac Pro for $1999. The G5 is a Dual 2.5 GHz where as the Intel is a 2 x Dual Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz. The G5 has smaller HD, less ram (which I can upgrade) and Vram. For the $1000 difference, should I go G5? Is the speed difference significant enought to justify spending $1000 more (not to mention the ability to run Windows) I'm a graphic/web designer/photographer (Yes, opening .NEF pics on my G4 is hell), so I probably won't be running into Intel only apps just yet.

What do you recommend?

P.S.: All prices $Canadian.

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

The MacPro will be much, much faster. I suggest you wait for the refresh of that line which should be soon coming.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Mac mini competes in raw CPU power against even the fastest G5s. Get the Mac Pro.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He can't afford a standard model, so there's no way he'll be able to afford Gainestown.

OP, get the Mac Pro. You do want to be able to run Snow Leopard, right?

5. fa8362 macrumors 65816

The MacPro will be faster. Whether one regards the difference as significant enough to spend an additional $1000 depends on the user and the type of work being done. You certainly DON'T need a MacPro to run CS3 Design suite. I have a G5 dual 2.5. On most tasks, it's roughly the same speed as my 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook. The MacBook does, however, seem to copy files faster.

If I were making the decision, I'd think hard about the type of work I do. I use Photoshop nearly every day, but most of the time, the computer isn't actually doing much, because most of the time, I'm thinking, evaluating, etc. At times, I work with very large files (over 2GB). A MacPro would help then, but my computer is only working that hard about an hour a day or less. That's not enough for me to upgrade it. In fact, I'd be more likely to upgrade it because it draws way more power than my laptop than I would because of processor performance. I'd feel differently if every day, for many hours per day, my computer was processing large files, or rendering 3D images, or processing large audio and/or video files constantly.

Many people buy way more computer than they actually need. You'll have a hard time convincing most of them of that. Most of the computer mags and websites promote significantly more processing power than most people need.

6. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Then again there are some of us who consistently max their MacPro out & wish for something a bit more powerful.....

7. SnowX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information fa8362, that really puts things into perspective. My file sizes in Photoshop do not usually exceed 200mb, so I think the G5 will be great for my needs. Like I said, I'm currently running a G4 1.25GHz, so all I'm really looking for is a boost in speed.

8. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Personally, i would go with the Intel. I say this because if you do in fact upgrade to CS4 in the future you'll want the new feature where some of the rendering, and filter applications are off loaded to the newer video cards GPUs. Which i'm not sure if the older nVidia or ATI card use this feature. Someone could correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not sure if they do or not.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What, the one in your sig? That's not maxed out! Drop 32 gigs in there and four 3.5" SSDs in a RAID 0+1 and THEN tell me it's maxed out! :p

10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Someone else said this... the current (albeit old) Mac Mini will outperform the old G5. And someone else said, don't you want to run Snow Leopard.

Of the two you are considering, the Intel is the only option to consider. Perhaps you could consider something else though.

Best luck.

11. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Get a refurb Mac Pro when the new line comes out, you will save money that way.

ChrisN

12. fa8362 macrumors 65816

As an owner of a G5 dual 2.5 and a MacBook 2.4GHz, I can tell you that's DEFINITELY not true. And if he checks MacWorld's tests he'll see with his own eyes that it's not true.

http://www.macworld.com/article/61201/2007/11/speedmark5new.html