Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerteve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I just received the Nvidia 6800gt 256mb agp card I bought on ebay, but I can't seem to find a power source to use and I think they may have sent me the wrong card. When I first plugged it into the slot I figured it would draw power from the AGP slot like my radeon 9.... pro mac edition. Needless to say it didn't work at which point I realized this card draws power through a 4 pin molex connector on the back of the card. I looked inside my case for a 4 pin to tap into with the adaptor that can with the card and I can't one. I would assume that since I ordered a Mac card I wouldn't need to splice into a power supply which leads me to believe they send me a PC version which clearly would have the molex connectors from the power supply? Help me out, did they send me the wrong card? or and I just not looking hard enough for the 4 pin molex?

BTW this is going in a single 1.8 G5.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Flashed PC cards should include instructions for install.

If there aren't any, email the seller.

On an AGP G5, you need to tap into the Optical drive power.

Killerteve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Thanks for the quick response. Luckily I figured it out before that and am posting this with the new card running!:D

Killerteve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Now that I have the card installed and running, where do I get the most updated driver? Also what utlilities are available to manage the card. Thanks for the help, I tried the nvidia site As well as searching fwiw.

mazziestarr

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
Melbourne
having same problem with my nVidia 6800 GT - cant install it!

I bought an AGP nvidia 6800 GT 256mb card from overseas because couldnt find one in australia! and now it won't work in my machine.
i managed to put it in the agp slot but it needs power from somewhere for the fan i am assuming and i have NO idea where to connect the cables to.
i have read a previous post where it said take power from the optical drive but these G5 cases seem somewhat impenetrable!! am i stupid and just cant see what to do???
please help, ive been wanting a new graphics card for sooo long and now im pulling my hair out over it.
have i ordered the wrong card?
my machine is a dual 2.0 with fw800.
the previous card was in agp slot.

looking forward to your reply.

:eek:

Killerteve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I bought an AGP nvidia 6800 GT 256mb card from overseas because couldnt find one in australia! and now it won't work in my machine.
i managed to put it in the agp slot but it needs power from somewhere for the fan i am assuming and i have NO idea where to connect the cables to.
i have read a previous post where it said take power from the optical drive but these G5 cases seem somewhat impenetrable!! am i stupid and just cant see what to do???
please help, ive been wanting a new graphics card for sooo long and now im pulling my hair out over it.
have i ordered the wrong card?
my machine is a dual 2.0 with fw800.
the previous card was in agp slot.

looking forward to your reply.

:eek:

What you have to do is really quite simple. The first thing you will need which came with the "flashed" card I bought is a 4-pin molex adapter to give you and extra power source. From there you have to remove the optical drive which held in place by two locking tabs at the base of the drive bay. Flip these tabs towards you and the drive will be free to slide out. Of course be careful with the other wires attatched to the drive. At this point you will notice the 4-pin molex powering the drive next to the long flat data connection. Remove the molex and plug in your adapter. Then you simply connected the extra power source to the card and your done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.