G5 ADC video card

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AtmChm, Jun 13, 2013.

1. AtmChm macrumors regular

I have a 2x2.7 early 2005 G5 that I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card in with ADC and DVI connectors. The video card has been flaky for a while, so I want to replace it. I'm using an ADC HD Cinema display, so I would like a card that as an ADC connector. What is the "best" card to replace my current card?

Out of curiosity if I were to get an ADC/DVI converter, would I be better off with a DVI card?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The absolute best ADC card is the ATI x850. They are rather expensive, but nice. They're about the same as the most powerful non-ADC card. If you do go the non-ADC route, don't forget to include the $80 cost of an ADC-DVI adapter.

3. AtmChm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Is that card significantly better than the x800?

Yeah, the problem with getting a non-ADC card is then the adapter is an extra expense, so you really don't save anything.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The only difference between the x800 and the x850 is clock speed. The x850 has a slightly higher clock speed. In my opinion, it isn't worth the extra money and trouble to get the x850 over the x800.

5. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

You could overclock the x800 with ATIccelarator.

6. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

?
    What does that mean?
    ATIccelarator can overclock any pre X1xxx ATI GPU.

7. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

What did i wrote? Yes, right.

8. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Yup, I've got a FireGL X3 flashed as an X800 XT, usually it runs at the stock speed of 452 Mhz, but I've run it for a while stable at about 720 MHz (on the core clock, memory wasn't much more than 500 MHz), it gave it a nice speed boost, shame that any games that might benefit are bottlenecked by my CPU.