G5 airport/ethernet inconsistency.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RhianB, Oct 15, 2016.

1. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

I just purchased an airport card for my G5. I installed it, the PM found it but said it was not configured, so I followed the prompts. It found my wifi network but when I put the PW in, it rejected it. I then tried a ethernet cable directly to my modem and it said my cable was not plugged in. Tried another and it said the same. admittedly not really know what I am doing (All of my macs have always just worked lol until now), I then looked at the settings on my MB and entered the DNS server addresses. I then rebooted the PM and when I tried to log onto my network, it worked lol but worked only temporarily - maybe 2 minutes and at that very slowly. weird things Ive noticed include:

1.) When the PM looks for a network, it sees ONLY mine. all my other macs see literally like 15 other networks around me.
    2.) The ethernet isn't working either.
    3.) When it does "kinda work" its super slow, then stops.

I am not against manually configuring the PM but am unsure how to do it. I am sure there is a tutorial on youtube or somewhere. Still it weirds me out that the cabled 10/100 doesnt work - two difference cables. I don't understand that unless maybe the hardware on the board is dead or failing.

I could always put in a PCI etherenet card easily enough but really would like to get the AP working like my QSG4. Any ideas or directions you guys can recommend?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The PMG5's came with an Airport antenna. It plugs into the back.

This is what it looks like…

[​IMG]

Without it you get poor reception. They go for about $50-60. You can fudge a bit with a paperclip stuck in the antenna hole (it's in the back of the Mac with the airport icon).

As for the ethernet, you have the gateway set as your router?

3. RhianB, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

RhianB thread starter macrumors 6502

RhianB

There is no separate router per se. I'm using my ISP's Zyxel PK500Z modem. I can connect up to 4 10/100 cables and it broadcasts my b/g wifi network. The antenna LOL. Had absolutely no idea there was such a thing for PMG5. I bet that is the issue with AP as the signal icon shows a weak signal. I see a number of folks claiming reliable 10mbs by using a plastic twisty tie with about 1/2 inch of the plastic stripped off the end. Im going to give that a shot as I have a bunch of those. If it sucks, I'll get an antenna.

Still need to figure out ethernet. There are some solid tutorials on the centurylink website. Still, it seems to me that the issue is on the PM side and not the modem as all of my other 10/100 devices work fine going back to my PMG4 and an IMG3.

I wonder if the ethernet is disabled in Sys prefs. I'll have to check. Thanks for the help.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you are connected to the modem via ethernet then the DNS of the Mac needs to be the modem's address. I presume the modem also doubles as a router so you'd also want to have DHCP on.

I've never used my modem for all my connections (I have a wired router and two wireless/wired routers) so I'm not sure about that. But I do know the DNS address in your case would need to be the modem.

Forgive the Snow Leopard screen shot, I'm on my MBP at the moment. But Leopard should look similar.

System Preferences.png

5. RhianB thread starter macrumors 6502

RhianB

Hmm, so the DNS I put in manually was what was on my MB which is using wifi. I'll have to review the centurylink website for directions on discerning the DNS of my modem. Anyhow I'm away from the batcave at the moment (mother in law's birthday) but I will investigate further when I get back this evening or tomorrow sometime.

Again, thanks for the help. Really helps me out to talk this stuff through. Appreciated.

6. RhianB thread starter macrumors 6502

RhianB

So this DIY antenna works like a charm. It's fashioned from a twisty tie with about 3/4" of the plastic removed and those sections twisted together. I then leave about 1/8" inch at the end in a U shape. One side sticks in the center hole and the other side pinches or clamps the outside. Gently nestled in and I'm getting excellent signal. Just DL'd TFF in no time.
    DIYG5wifiantenna.jpg
    I still haven't figured out the ethernet but I'll do that this week sometime. Running Time machine for the first time. That'll be a while.

7. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

My powerbook had this behaviour as well. it just didn't work well for some reason and i couldn't even get on the internet after a bit. During installation it had no issues connecting to apple and doing it's thing though.
    A few reboots later, it magically worked, found all the neighbour wifi points on 2,4ghz and I have no idea why it didn't first.

I hope yours kicks in on its own too.

I know my router supports both 2,4 and 5 at the same time.