G5 and a HDTV

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacCubed, May 31, 2015.

1. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Hey guys, a while back I got a new TV for my desk and now I want to hook up my G5 to it. Anyone know of an adapter that works? I bought one off Amazon a while back but it works HDMI-VGA not VGA-HDMI

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

3. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Right now I have a VGA monitor connected to my PMG5 via a DVI converter so technically I could buy a DVI to HDMI and hook it directly to the Power Mac

4. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Yeha that may be the best thing to do since DVI can be re-wired into HDMI with just an adapter/cable, as opposed to a VGA cable which to my knowledge, you would need a converter box.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

What video card do you have?

I'm using a 6800 Ultra, which has dual DVI outs. I just have a DVI-HDMI cable running from the computer to my TV. HDMI and DVI use the same signal protocol-the difference is that HDMI-obviously-uses a different connector and also supports sound. Thus, the cable is passive.

All G5 Cards(or at least the Mac edition ones) I'm aware of have either dual DVI or DVI+ADC. ADC is really DVI with extra connectors for power and USB, so again a passive adapter can be used to turn an ADC port into a DVI port. Then, run a DVI-HDMI cable to your TV.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You are going to want to go from DVI to HDMI rather than VGA to HDMI.

7. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I have the stock GE Force FX 5200 and I might do that since I use my tv for my Xbox and I also use the PMG5 at the same time the I could use dual displays
    Thaws what I was planning to do, I was using the vga stuff as an example for the adapter I bought