Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaseInNY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Australia
I am thinking of upgrading to the new G5, but I have just realized that it has two drive bays. I understand you can put up to 500 GB internally, but, how would you set up a Internal RAID array seperately from the OS? Isn't media suppose to separated from the OS?
Is Apple heading for encouraging people to buy external drive systems?

The specs look pretty amazing, and I know that FCP4 will love the new G5, but, how can I move my current internal RAID into the new machine when it only has two drive bays?

Should I wait till the next generation of G5's? Or is there something completley new that I am missing as far a high speed RAID storage is concerned?

Many thanks in advance
Jase

:rolleyes:

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Apple is definetly looking to get people to use external drive solutions. I read a rumor somwhere(think it was on macrumors) that apple will be coming out with there own line of external drives. xtrememac has also come out with some enclosuores to match the new g5.

JaseInNY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Australia
So I guess I will forget about buying the latest G5 until I can set up an internal RAID, with more than 2 usable PCI slots.

On the positive side, at least it will be a Dual 3 or 4 gig by then!
Oh, and I won't have to be an unwilling Apple Beta tester again!

As people say, wait for all the bugs to be ironed out, be patient.

dannyp

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2003
if you are working on DV footage you do not need a raid. (for simple editing)
If you are working on uncompressed footage or slightly compressed and have many layers you will want to get an external raid.
with FCP 4s RT ability, the number of layers you work with will be determined by machine speed as well as your raid.
i would get an external raid that can sustain at least 80 MB/sec, but would keep that as a minimum.

dp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.