G5 and third party video cards

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 99bignick99, Apr 25, 2007.

1. 99bignick99 macrumors newbie

I have a G5 DP 2.0 AGP and the ATI 9600 video card that originally came with the computer has failed. I need a new video card and was wondering if I need to buy a "Mac Edition" card of if any AGP card (I would prefer an Nvidia) will work. I am not much of a hacker but dont want to pay the inflated prices asked for "Mac Edition" cards unless I have to. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :eek:

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Well, I got it installed in my dual G5 PM. It wasn't too difficult. The biggest hassle is getting the aux power to the card. The only real option in the G5 PM is to split the power connection at the DVD drive. It ends up fairly clean, though.

As with all the newer video cards, you do get the added noise of the blower. The original ati 9600 was air cooled, so the new card has definitely added to the sound level in my office.

I haven't run any 3D programs, yet.

5. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

I was extremely happy with the Radeon 9800 Pro SE 256 that was in my recently eBay'd G5 2x2.0.I'm sure you can snatch one on eBay for a song.

6. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

7. AlaskanWarrior macrumors newbie

Radeon X1950 XT

I have a 2.33 G5 with the APG slot as well, I was looking at the Radeon X1950 XT built by Gecube I was wanting to get a compairson between this one and the 512 mb Radeon X1950 pro.

I had also just read that the APG card blocks one of the PCI slots, if that is the case would going with PCI be a better choice?

8. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

It's AGP not APG.

You do realize you need a Mac version of the graphics card or else you have to flash the PC version (IF it is possible). There is no Mac version of the Radeon X1950XT or Radeon X1950 Pro.

The higher-end AGP graphics cards take the space of two slots because of the cooling for them. It's not possible to avoid this. Faster, more advanced cards run hotter and require more cooling. No you do not want a PCI graphics card. They are slower than AGP graphics cards and will reduce the features of the MacOS you can use.

9. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Even if that does work which I doubt there will be a ROM for it, since they are AGP versions with a PCI-E bridge chip to work on AGP for the PC.

Try and get drivers to work for it on OS X, all Apple has as far as ATI goes is the X1900XT cards. So its drivers will only recognise X1900XT.

10. Al2mo macrumors newbie

Did you try working with the 512 mb Radeon X1950 pro?

I got it and am about to try but I saw this and before I do it wanted to know if anyone did it, so my computer won't blow up and explode...