G5 Apple Remote Desktop & iMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macnerd93, Jul 12, 2013.

1. macnerd93 macrumors 6502a

macnerd93

Hello guys,

so I've got my Power Mac G5 system up and running as a secondary machine on my desk.

I am using my 21.5'' iMac as the primary display (as no monitor is connected physically into the G5) This method seems to be working okay using Ethernet my Airport Extreme router & Apple remote Desktop.

However, my dilemma is that I cant actually get the ARD window to run at the iMacs full 1080 screen resolution is there a way to do this? The Max resolution I get is 1680x1050.

hope someone can help thanks a lot

Ryan

2. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Maybe try using OS X's screen sharing instead of ARD? I know that ARD's screen sharing hasn't yet been updated to support the full screen mode found in 10.7/10.8, instead it considers full screen to be when either the vertical or horizontal limit has been met. With Screen Sharing I still don't get the full resolution of my host's display but it's still a big step up from ARD's full screen mode.

In Finder look under the Shared section (between Favorites and Devices), locate your Power Mac and click on it, click on "Share Screen" and authenticate with the user credentials for the Power Mac. You can save a shortcut to this as well once the screen sharing session has been established by switching to Screen Sharing, clicking on Connection and choosing "Save as". I have two Mac servers at work that I switch to several times a day using these shortcuts, pretty quick and painless.

Hopefully that helps and accomplishes what you're looking for.