G5 as a Media Server using iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by squonk2, Aug 8, 2015.

1. squonk2 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I've been running my 2008 Macbook Pro (OS 10.6.8) into the ground streaming music throughout my house using iTunes & Airplay. I'd instead like to use my old G5 tower strictly as a media server for the house so my Macbook Pro doesn't have to run all the time anymore.

I copied my iTunes Library correctly (iTunes folder and all its contents) to an external drive that will now live attached to the G5. This large external drive will also allow me to continue to grow my iTunes library without using up precious space on my Macbook Pro. I attempted to redirect the empty iTunes on my G5 to the new drive by starting iTunes while holding the Option Key and then choosing the library on the external drive. However, my iTunes on the G5 says the library on the hard drive "cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes." My G5 is running OS 10.4.11 Tiger and iTunes 9. My Macbook Pro is running iTunes 11 on OS 10.6.8. I tried and cannot upgrade my iTunes 9 on the G5 any further.

I simply want to use the gear I have as a dedicated media server to stream my music across my home network using Airplay and Home Sharing (and home videos to my Apple TV).

Are there any solutions?

Thanks for any help...

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I would try importing your library minus the ITL and XML files associated with it.