G5 at San Francisco

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by samy85114, Dec 20, 2001.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

G3 and G4 iMacs

I think thats a good idea. Give the people more options, and they will be more attracted to buy. However, dont forget that more options is more expensive for the manufacturer. Would a G4 chip in an iMac require a different motherboard structure than putting a G3 in it? If the processors are just "swappable," that would be a cheap, smart thing for Apple to do.

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: G3 and G4 iMacs

I think the real thing to consider is if they were to use G4 chips in the new iMac, what speed would it be? Since all across the board for G4 based Macs are 550 & up, would they come with 400 & 500 Mhz processors to keep them below the professional grade? I couldn't see them putting G4 chips in the iMac plus LCD and try to pass them off as "consumer" line products. If that were the case, I'd be willing to bet people would jump to the cheaper iMac rather than shell out almost twice as much for a G4 tower...

unless we are going to see the G5 debut....

things to think about...

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Sahara

I can't see Apple not using the new 750fx, but they might put it in the iBook. It runs really cool, and uses only about 5 watts of power. So they *might* put a G4 in the iMac and the 750fx in the iBook, but it still seems pretty unlikely to me. (for one thing, unless they put the 7460 in the TiBook, the iBook would have a higher clock frequency, which is bad for marketing. Besides, a 1Ghz LCD iMac with the new system bus would definetly be a computer worth getting. Does DDR 200mhz RAM exist? If it does then the 750fx has a fast enough bus to use it.

4. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: Sahara

If they put the 1Ghz G3 sahara chip in the ibook and dont update the PowerBook to at least 1Ghz G4 then the ibook will be quicker!!! They will be keen to break the Ghz barrier on all lines I think.

Personally, I think the Sahara chip will be used for iMac because as much as I want the G5 to come out I dont believe it will until march!!

5. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness