G5 booting problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ftored, Jun 8, 2014.

1. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

Hello,
    I recently bought a G5 dual 2.0ghz but with some booting issues.

When i press the power button the light turns on and i can hear the fans spin up. They ramp up for a second and then return to normal. Nothing is displayed on screen.
    I thought it was some issue with the vga as i could see some physical damage on the connector. I bought a used one (5200) and the problem is the same.

Any suggestions on what could be the problem?

2. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Test if RAM is faulty, if the machine has several sticks try different combinations or better yet remove them all and test known good RAM sticks. Memory must be installed in pairs and correct slots in PowerMac G5s.

If that does not fix it and the graphics card you bought is working and is a Mac vesion (or PC version flashed with Mac ROM) then it might be CPU's or motherboard, I think Dual 2.0GHz from 2004 was the most unreliable if I remember correctly, there were some kind of statistics around the net, motherboard was usually the problem.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Also try a new PRAM battery. Try removing the video card and all RAM from the system and starting it. It should instantly beep. If it does add the RAM back in matched pairs. Then work on the video card.

4. ftored thread starter macrumors regular

ftored

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Already changed the pram battery and removed all ram before replacing the vga card but with no result.. Now that i changed the card i ll try removing all the ram and installing different combinations of pairs..

5. repentix macrumors regular

I had the same Problem with my Powermac G5. The Seller said that the Ram needed to be wobbled a little to work properly after that the G5 would work, that is also partially the Reason why I got mine so cheap :D
    When I got the G5 the first thing I did is I changed the Ram around......the Problem has never since occured, it has been workng flawlessly to this day.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try starting without the RAM, hard drive, video card, and anything unnecessary. Just the power cord and see if she beeps.

7. wts, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014

wts macrumors member

wts

Sometimes this trick works:

Unplug your mac from its power source and let it sit over nite and let it sulk :D just to let her know who's da boss.

Then after at least 12 hours power up.

Sometimes that trick works.

However before you try that as i re-read your opening post are you tell us that you have no desktop:
    ? No hard drive shows up on the desktop? Usually, in the upper right hand corner.
    No apple menu bar ?

If so, then you may have a dead hard drive or a flaky hard drive.

8. ftored thread starter macrumors regular

ftored

If it beeps then? I mean is there a way to troubleshoot the beeping? Maybe a long beep followed by 2-3 short ones? Or something like that?

Yes i have no desktop or nothing..just black screen from the moment i turn it on

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1547

It explains the beep codes. Ideally with no RAM it will give the no RAM beep. Then add RAM but no video card. It should still chime if I remember correctly.