G5 Broken in strange way

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Mar 11, 2016.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

I'm currently setting up a fresh install of OS X leopard on my PowerMac and everything is working fine. But I noticed I have audio coming from both the rear audio out and from the front I/O simultaneously. But to my knowledge this shouldn't be possible do to the way the hardware is set up. Really confusing me a lot. G5 still runs just fine, just that weird audio problem.
    PS I got Final Cut running just fine, turned out I just forgot to install the extra packages

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Check in Activity Monitor how much CPU Core Audio is using - it should be a fraction of a percent - if it's not, there's problems.
    I take it you've checked settings in Audio MIDI Setup?

3. WalnutSpice, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016

WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Yeah, I looked there and it all seemed normal. I'll check Activity Monitor and let you know

Where can I find Coreaudio in Activity Monitor?

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

View attachment 620868
    In Activity Monitor, select All Processes and then type "Coreaudio" into the search box.

Picture 1.JPG

5. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Well, I guess mine is running normally. But its still outputting audio to both places.

Attached Files:

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

How is your audio output listed in your System Preferences/Sound, then Output tab?
    Watch for any change on that pane when you plug headphones (or whatever device you use) into the rear audio output, then remove, and plug same device into the front headphone output.

7. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

On my MDD I can get sound from both the rear and the front outputs at the same time, two sets of earphones both working at once, unfortunately my G5 Quad is out of service for the moment so I cannot test it for dual sound.

8. mikiotty macrumors 6502

mikiotty

Both my G5 and MDD do this. It is annoying because I often plug in headphones to quietly listen to things, and I have to turn off my speakers every time.

9. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Weird, my MDD doesn't do this.