G5 can't see new SATA Drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by n8mac, Dec 25, 2012.

1. n8mac macrumors 6502

My dads Win XP machine had an extra HDD he wasn't using that was purchased from a store about 1 year ago. So I took it out of his machine and put it into my G5 and it doesn't even see its there. Specs...

Dual 1.8 G5 PowerMac
    500GB Western Digital SATA II Caviar Blue 16mb WD5000AAKX

I know G5 is fine because I just took out the original 80GB HDD and put the newer WD drive in its place. I also have a 320GB HDD in slot B with Tiger on it. I went to WD website and they said it works with Tiger and that the OS should have everything needed to see it. I put the WD drive into slot A while the boot drive is in slot B, would that matter? I know the WD drive is fine as I just used it in my dads dell last week.

Thanks in advance.

2. parrafin macrumors member

I think they boot drive needs to be in Bay A.

Has the machine actually booted? If so you'll need to reformat the drive to 'Mac OS journaled' using Disk Utility for it to work anyway.

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

It is worth a shot, though I have booted from both A an B in my DP 1.8.

4. justperry, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Are you sure the jumpers are set to the right setting?

Look here for info on WD's site.

There should not be any jumper (Standard) and even if there are, normally it should not make a difference.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PowerMac G5's will boot from either A or B bay. If the drive does have jumpers on it, set them for SATA I mode. Some WD drives don't work well or at all in G5's until you set their jumpers to SATA I mode.

6. n8mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm typing from it right now, with the boot drive in slot B. Disk Utility or Profiler does not see any other HDD.

7. n8mac thread starter macrumors 6502

No jumpers on it. I will have to find jumpers and see if that works, will let you know, thanks. Will that reduce the drives speed? Was going to do some video for my dad on it. Nothing too urgent, but am curious. If it doesn't work I can always buy a new one, just that he would rather have the video soon and my boot drive is getting full.

Thanks all for your help
    n8

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PowerMac G5's only have SATA I. Because of this, there is be no reduced speed in the G5. Also, very few hard drives are able to use all of a SATA I bus' available speed.

9. n8mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I finally got back to this project now that I found a jumper and I need to edit some footage. I found a good read on WD website that explains it all...www.wdc.com
    As Intell said the G5 wasn't reading the drive until I put a jumper to make it SATA I and it worked.
    Thanks for all your help everyone.