G5 Crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arnoldbenedict, Jan 19, 2008.

1. arnoldbenedict macrumors newbie

I have a G5 tower and it seems to go to sleep whenever it appears to be 'winding up'. It doesn't necessarily have to be doing anything too complicated for it to go to sleep, but i first noticed the problem while capturing video with final cut pro. I have set the computer to never go to sleep and the problem still occurs. I have just recently reinstalled os x with a fresh install and when i inserted the second disk the first thing it did was go to sleep, and now twice while re installing final cut pro.

I have seen issues similar to this but I have no idea how to diagnose the issue. Any help would be great.

specs:
    dual 1.8 ghz power pc G5
    4 gb ddr sdram
    900 MHz bus speed

thanks alot

2. amactec macrumors newbie

3. arnoldbenedict thread starter macrumors newbie

After digging through archives of troubleshooting tips on the apple website i have noticed a problem solution similar to mine instructing me to update my os to os X 10.3.8 or later and this might solve the issue.

so while I am in the process of digging up an updated OS install disc I will run the apple hardware test as suggested.

I am not very 'mac savvy' as they would put it, which is kind of why i got the thing to begin with -

ill update this post with information as it comes.

4. arnoldbenedict thread starter macrumors newbie

error code 2STH/1/2: CPU B AD7417 AD1

I have been looking around at other problems similar to this and it appears as if there is a problem with the cpu running too warm and it is sleeping as a protective measure?

maybe there isn't a problem with the cpu itself but the system that cools it?

this is going to be expensive isnt it?