Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by Mac Kiwi
What do you guys think the chances are that the Rev As wont need to much tweaking?,as opposed to waiting for B,which if its like A {release date} could be released this time next year as opposed to earlier.

Do you really think ANYONE can actually WAIT for a revision B !?!?

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
While there are always the possibilities of hardware issues in the first revs, I do not consider this the reason to wait for rev B's. I see two issues that might make the wait worthwhile.

First; if Apple is expected to hit 3GHz by this time next year, and they release an update in between , it would make sense if that update contained a top of the line model running at 2.5 GHz. That should be a significant jump in performance. Further that jump will probally be needed to remain king of the hill.

Second; if anybody at Apple has any sense at all they would release a new rev to the enclosure. This rev would have a front mounted user accessible drive baY!!!!!!!!!!!

I think what we will see is the possible software bug or two. Unless you have a critical application I would not worry about those as they eventually get ironed out.

Dave

Originally posted by Mac Kiwi
What do you guys think the chances are that the Rev As wont need to much tweaking?,as opposed to waiting for B,which if its like A {release date} could be released this time next year as opposed to earlier.

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX
Originally posted by JtheLemur
sorry, those 'estimated ship dates' are shots in the dark. =\

I kind of figured that but was wondering if anyone had checked their site before and seen a different date

WiSE CHiHUAHUA

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2003
Re: CompUSA's website

Originally posted by dallastigers
CompUSA's website is saying that the G5s will ship to them from their supplier on August 5th.

In that screenshot, They say the G5 is a minitower, heck that ain't no mini tower, it's larger than the G4.

mikeh123

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2003
London
A little while yet

Actually don't expect shipping G5's before September. 1.6's will be out first by the end of August.

Apple resellers will not be receiving 1.8 's and 2 Ghz models until the 3rd week of September (thats the official date anyway)

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
Originally posted by wizard
While there are always the possibilities of hardware issues in the first revs, I do not consider this the reason to wait for rev B's. I see two issues that might make the wait worthwhile.

First; if Apple is expected to hit 3GHz by this time next year, and they release an update in between , it would make sense if that update contained a top of the line model running at 2.5 GHz. That should be a significant jump in performance. Further that jump will probally be needed to remain king of the hill.

Second; if anybody at Apple has any sense at all they would release a new rev to the enclosure. This rev would have a front mounted user accessible drive baY!!!!!!!!!!!

I think what we will see is the possible software bug or two. Unless you have a critical application I would not worry about those as they eventually get ironed out.

Dave

Ya thats kind of what I thought Wizard :)

0gun 7 - Lol ya I dont know if I can wait.

The only thing stopping me from ordering right at this time,is I just know if I order a 2ghz now and a 23 inch LCD and also order a ATI 9800,that Apple are going to release drivers for the Fire or Quadro cards and update the displays after I have done so,that would really snot me big time.I really need a Quadro or Fire card for 3D,but I will just cross my fingers.

Stu.

onemilkid

macrumors newbie
New G5 is very quite and a piece of art

I actually had my hands on this power horse (Dual 2GHz with 4 Gig RAM, 23 and 20" Apple Screens) last week during a road show in Germany. And can tell you this thing is very quiet. We opened 12 HiRes QuickTime Movies and had Maya running. Both processors were running on high performance for quite a while. we had to close the door and windows to even hear the fans. Everybody (about 6 people) were very astound. me personally because the fan sound was very undisturbing, by that I mean that db is not everything, because I find fans often not loud but annoing. The G5 sound is subliminal.

The craftsmanship of the tower is amazing. all aluminum. slick as hell. drives can be put out without screws.

If you have questions just post it here

onemilkid

macrumors newbie
I'm not very found in Maya, but the other guys told me that it was hard work that G5 did. And these 12 Trailers were all playing in QuickTime, that wasn't so clear in my last post.

BTW If I could afford such a baby, I would open the side all the time and look thru the clear plastic all the time. I never saw such a well-made and organized technical stuff, maybe iPod.

msp

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2003
Karlsruhe, Germany
Originally posted by onemilkid
BTW If I could afford such a baby, I would open the side all the time and look thru the clear plastic all the time. I never saw such a well-made and organized technical stuff, maybe iPod. [/B]

Well I asked this a LinuxTag Germany and the answer was : No it is not possible to run the G5 with open doors, as there is a sensor, stopping the G5 if the door is opened.
But well you could short this sensor to allow this, but I think this would void warranty.

onemilkid

macrumors newbie
I know that the ventilation needs a closed side, but therefore they build a clear plastic door.

We had the computer running for 2 hours with opened doors (but with plastic lid on)

Just to have a look a the components.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
just gonna sit back and wait for the G5 Powerbooks, whats that time line like? another year?

picklescott

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
not my apple store...

just called my local apple store (tampa)... he said they won't get demo units until they actually receive the products which should be "late sept... er... august"

onemilkid

macrumors newbie
I can tell you that the casing didn't get warm or hot at all, knowing that my little PowerBook is a little warming compagnion in the winter.

I checked the air after the heaving usage and it was not hot at all, it was warm, but the room wasn't that cool either. On that day it was around 34 Celsuis (it think like 93 Fahrenheit) and the room had like 25 Celsius (should be 65 Fahrenheit) which is above normal room temparature.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
I called the store where I ordered mine yesterday and they told me that they are expecting shipping not before early September. Perhaps even later.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I was talking to an Apple employee at the Clarendon store a week or so ago and he said that when they first got the 17" PBs in, they couldn't use them at first, because they had to be put in the window for display only :eek: :confused:

I hope that's not the case with the G5s!

D

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I was talking to an Apple employee at the Clarendon store a week or so ago and he said that when they first got the 17" PBs in, they couldn't use them at first, because they had to be put in the window for display only :eek: :confused:

I hope that's not the case with the G5s!

D

what a pity, you'd think they would have empty cases for that purpose! i sure as hell wouldn't let a G5 go rot in a window, if i ran the store... total waste. even temporarily.

unless, of course, it's folding... >:)

pnw

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
I just saw a report from Siggraph and the G5 is flying in Pixars booth :D .They have a dual xeon 2.8 running icc and a G5 running gcc and the G5 is still a bit faster :D The Pixar guys said they think they can get more out of it yet as well.

Dual Xeon 2.8 icc 4.04 sec {PR renderman}

Dual G5 2ghz gcc 3.36 sec {PR renderman}

Apple does not have one running in its booth strangely enough...

Stu.

StarmanDeluxe

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
Yeah, I was at SIGGRAPH. Seeing a G5 at Pixar's booth but not at Apple's was a surprise. Incredibly, the Pixar guy said I could play with it. So I did. It's pretty fast :D

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
iTunes AAC 160 kbps Ripping Speed

Originally posted by onemilkid
I know that the ventilation needs a closed side, but therefore they build a clear plastic door.

We had the computer running for 2 hours with opened doors (but with plastic lid on)

Just to have a look a the components.
Did you try ripping a few songs in iTunes 4 to see how fast it rips AAC files @ 160 kbps? Anybody please?

This is such an obvious test needed that it is killing me no one has done it and reported it yet. I need the X number.

Dual 1.25 and 1.43 G4's rip at only 16-18x. This is pathetic. Can anyone confirm ripping to be 50x on a dual 2 G5 please? This is my dream/fantasy - Ripping entire CDs in one minute.

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
Originally posted by StarmanDeluxe
Yeah, I was at SIGGRAPH. Seeing a G5 at Pixar's booth but not at Apple's was a surprise. Incredibly, the Pixar guy said I could play with it. So I did. It's pretty fast :D

Ya that puts my mind at rest some,especially seeing as the xeon was running icc and the G5 was still a bit quicker :) Did I read somewhere that Intels compiler is basically rigged to make the benchs look better then they should?

My thoughts were if Apple had a G5 in their booth that they mght have had a nice sexy new display to complement it,so much for trying to be cunning :D

Stu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.