G5 Dual 2.5 and 1080i Editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by x30n, Sep 12, 2008.

1. x30n macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm not too experienced in video editing. I did a 30 minutes video with sony vegas some time ago based on 720p material on (forgive me) Windows.

Anyway, I have a more serious project comming and I would love to use my PowerMac Dual G5 2.5 GHz / 8GB RAM / Nvidia 6800Ultra 256MB with Final Cut Express to work with the 1080i material (~26,6fps regarding to JVC).

Do you think the G5 can cope with it in an acceptable speed? It will be quite a bit of material but no final result should be longer than an hour. Most will be about 10 Minutes or less.

cu
    x30n

2. TimNiego macrumors newbie

Depends on format

I used my Dual 2.5 G5 for the last three years editing HDV footage in 1080i and then downrezing it to SD for output. If you are using uncompressed HD footage, then, no I think the G5 will be overwhelmed.

My set up was Dual 2.5, 2.5 gb ram, 410 gb internal drives, 1 tb external raid, FCS 1.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well, set up a raid and see if it works. If it doesn't work you can get a Mac Pro and move the raid over.

4. x30n thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

SD is fine too. Most of the stuff will be published on the web only anyway, as a little flash video. The highest output will be a little DVD, perhaps.

I'll store the stuff on 4 external eSATA disks anyway. But I don't think I'll go for a mac pro. Doing some video work is not really an excuse for getting a new high price computer. The G5 is a real workhorse on all the other things I do. Video is just an addition from time to time.

cu
    x30n