G5 Dual 2.5 LCS

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mark8, Mar 23, 2017.

1. mark8 macrumors member

mark8

My last post G5?? was about a converted G5 2.0 to 2.5GHZ. I still need to do some tweaking to get the temps down a bit. reprogrammed the fans after successfully running ASD 2.5.8 it helped a little, but not enough. I digress, anyways back to the G5 Dual 2.5 LCS system. I tried to do a Thermal cal on that beast and I kept getting an intake fan error. So I removed the air deflector and the fans did not ramp up. Luckily I had a sensor on hand and had to take it apart and remove the PS. There hanging in the corner was the connector to air deflector sensor. After replacing it, the clear panel was now doing it's job,the fans revved up and the red LED on the logic board lit. So I figured I'd do a Thermal Cal, but no, the same error(intake fan error). Where is that info stored? in ram, rom, logic board or maybe in the hard drive. Crazy that it didn't fix the Thermal problem. These beasts are something else. I'll try resetting the PMU, etc and see if that works. Any Ideas gents?
    thx in advance

2. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Plug the old LCS in while recalibrating the thermals, just let it hang out of the machine. Should let you recalibrate it.

3. mark8 thread starter macrumors member

mark8

I even tried a different set of(tested good) LCS Dual 2.5Ghz cpus.
    Thought maybe the pump was at issue because I did replace it when they were available new
    I'm beginning to think that the Logic board rom is fubarred
    let what hang out of the machine?

4. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Plug the pump in to the motherboard, let it hang out of the machine or something, and run the thermal calibration, intake fan error means the pump isn't connected. ASD has no message for that.

5. mark8 thread starter macrumors member

mark8

I tried a different LCS set-up and got the same error. the second LCS set up gave the same error. that set up was bench tested and the pump ran as did the original.
    How can you run thermo cal with the pump hanging out and not cooling the cpus?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 24, 2017 ---

this link may help others
    http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/powermac/powermac_g5.pdf