G5 Dual 2.7 or G5 Quad 2.5 ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SpaceMusic_Guy, Mar 2, 2009.

1. SpaceMusic_Guy macrumors member

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my Computer to either a Dual 2.7 or Quad 2.5 G5 Tower. I currently have a Dual 1 Ghz G4 Quicksilver that's maxed out but is getting really long in the tooth.

I do alot of intense graphics with Bryce 3D and Photoshop 6 & 7 (sometimes up to 350mb size images for print). All of my graphics programs are Power PC so a newer Intel Mac Pro Tower is NOT an option. Plus, I need to be able to run Classic Mode for some older versions of Bryce that I occasionally need to run as well as alot of 3rd party Photoshop filters that were never made for OS X versions of Photoshop.

So, which one of these G5 Towers would you recommend ?? Is the Quad 2.5 G5 faster in raw speed than the Dual 2.7 or can it just do more multi-tasking ? Either of these machines would be a HUGE upgrade from my current machine I'm sure.

Any issues with Liquid Cooling on either of these machines ?? I assume that you can run Classic Mode on either of these machines as long as you install OS 9.2.2 ??

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I like the Quad because it uses the newer 970MP CPU that has 1MB of L2 cache per core, rather than just 512k per core.

It also uses PCIe, while I think the 2.7 uses the older PCI-X slots.