G5 dual 2.7 to new (not newest) iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cdinca, Mar 3, 2009.

1. cdinca macrumors 6502

I'm having a heck of a time comparing benchmarks between these 2.

I don't expect anyone to know for the machines released today, but if you could give me a hint with regards to the previous highest end imac model.

My assumption is I will notice a big speed increase...correct?

• I spend most of my life in CS3, soon to be CS4.
    • Any video processing I do is incidental and not important to my decision.
    • My 4 gigs of ram seems to be enough for me.
    • I don't play games on my mac.

2. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I wasn't clear enough that I was looking for advice.

Will I notice a speed increase, or should I just keep my dual 2.7 for a year or two?

3. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

You probably will notice a speed difference. With that said, if your computer still functions with everything you need it to function with, keep your computer and start saving money until the time comes where you actually need a new computer and not just want one.

4. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your response.

My main concern is being left out of future software updates or future updates running exceptionally slow on my machine.

Unfortunately, in my industry, if I don't have the latest versions of most apps I am at a disadvantage.

Saving for it is not an issue. I just don't want to waste the money if the software doesn't run noticeably faster.

And with conflicting reports about snow leopard's support of g5s, I'm am wonder if now is the time to sell.

5. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Maybe sell now..

The 2.7 is (situationally) the fastest pre-Intel Mac ever made, and as such, there are still some buyers for that machine. If I was in your situation, one of my main concerns would be the fact that as soon as SL is released, your machine will no longer be able to be sold with the latest version of OSX installed, and you may pass a psychological threshold in the minds of those potential buyers.

At this point, there are applications for which your machine is legitimately well-suited; however, as soon as it is clearly at a disadvantage to even Apple's "budget" desktops and portables, the market may well dry up.

6. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

That actually is a big concern, as I have 2 of the 2.7s to upgrade.

So, it is definite that snow leopard won't go on a g5?

7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Anyone with PPC software that they still need to run isn't going to care about SL for that machine.

8. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

It certainly looks that way, and if you were to poll members here I'd be shocked if there was much dissent on that probability. Anything could be up Apple's shadowy little sleevies, though. I, in fact used to think that SL might be the last OS iteration for the PPC. I thought they might clean Leopard up as much as is possible and leave the legacy owners with a truly stable and efficient system. Alas, it may well not have been worth their time to do that.

9. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

So your constructive response to this question was... what?

Keep them longer and it won't matter to the resale value?