Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PHISH007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Hey all, so Im pretty knowledgable when it comes to my mac but I just cant figure out why its running so slow. For example It takes about 10-12 seconds to open up firefox, thats just crazy.

I have repaired permissions, verified my disk, and even ran a techtools fullscan. Nothing seems to be working. Ive got 6.5 gigs off ram in this thing (doubt it reads it all), 150gig sys HD plus many externals for file dumping, and an ati radeon 256mb vid card plus the newest OSX.

Does anyone have any suggestions to speed this golden oldy up?

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
I'd keep an eye on your hard drive and/or memory... maybe you'll want to upgrade your hard drive to something bigger and faster. Try backing up all your files and doing a clean install and see if anything improves, if you're up to it.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Also, check youve got the latest version of Firefox, and as a G5 it should recognize all 6.5GBs (The maximum was 8 or 16 for these machines). Firefox is quite a slow loader (takes 5 secs on a Intel MacBook, 4 on a MacBook Pro)

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Like new...

Firstly, backup everything of importance to you (not applications on a basic install, nor available on line)

Then with the original grey discs carry out an Archive and innstall. Google if you're not sure what this is.

Should it still run slow, Erase & Install. I had a Dual G5 with 2GB RAM, the thing flew.

F

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.