G5 Dual boot Tiger/Leopard issue.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thegman1234, Apr 29, 2010.

1. thegman1234 macrumors 6502

thegman1234

I did a search and came up with nothing, so forgive me if this has been answered already.

I have a G5 with a Tiger startup disk. I installed the HD from my retired MBP (with Leopard) into my G5 as a second hard drive. When I boot from Tiger, I can access the files on my Leopard disk, but not vice versa. I called Apple and they said it's most likely because the Leopard disk has a Laptop configuration, therefor it wouldn't look for another hard drive connected via sata.

So my question is, how can I go about getting Leopard to look for another hard drive via sata? Is there an available driver?

Thanks in advance.

2. thegman1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

thegman1234

3. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

When you boot from your Leopard drive, what does About This Mac say about your hard drive or SATA configuration? What about Disk Utility? Does it see the other drive?

4. Steve-M macrumors regular

You should be able to make Leopard auto mount your Tiger disk by using fstab.

First you need to gather some information. So boot into Leopard, open Terminal, and enter to following code:

Assuming you only have the two disk connected, this should show /dev/disk0 and /dev/disk1. You will have to work out which is your Tiger disk. You can go by the name or size. I would think /dev/disk0, but you should confirm before proceeding. From the the output find the disk identifier for your Tiger disk. If /dev/disk0 it will be disk0s2. You want the identifier on the same line as Apple_HFS, not EFI, or GUID_partition_scheme.

Next, in terminal enter the following code:

Replace disk0s2 with the identifier for your Tiger disk. Next you want to find the Volume UUID listed in the terminal and copy it. The UUID will look something like this:

Volume UUID: FAB060E9-79F7-33FF-BE85-E1D3ABD3EDEA

Next, you will need to create the fstab file. I prefer to use TextEdit for this, but you will need admin privileges, so use the following code:

Enter your password when prompted, and copy the following text into TextEdit.

Replace FAB060E9-79F7-33FF-BE85-E1D3ABD3EDEA with the UUID of your Tiger disk, and save the file as /etc/fstab. Before saving, make sure TextEdit is in plain text mode, and uncheck the option to add the .txt extension. With the file saved, reboot into Leopard and your Tiger disk should be mounted.

Alternately, You could mount your Tiger disk as needed by issuing the diskutil mount /dev/disk0s2 command, and diskutil umount /dev/disk0s2 to unmount the disk. Again, replace disk0s2 with the identifier of your disk.

Edit: I might add that rw in the fstab file created will mount the disk with read/write privileges, so proceed with caution when working with your Tiger disk.

5. thegman1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

thegman1234

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have a look into everything later in the week when the computer is in front of me and reply with any progress.

BTW Steve, the read/write capabilities are actually going to be useful for me as I have my iTunes library data on the Tiger disk and I would like to be able to access and edit the library from both OS's, especially with the drop of Tiger support from iPhone OS4.

6. thegman1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

thegman1234

Okay, I haven't tried the terminal codes to get Leopard to automount the Tiger disk however, going to disk utility DID allow me to mount the Tiger disk manually so that has worked so far. Thank you both very much for your help.

7. Steve-M macrumors regular

You may have to change where your iTunes library is located, or change the permissions of your music folder. When I boot Leopard from a external drive, I can not enter the Users/steve/Music folder on Macintosh HD due to lack of permissions.

Your welcome, if disk utility allowed you to mount your tiger disk, fstab will definitely work to auto mount it at startup. Good luck :)