Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

believo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I'm pretty new to dual proccessors. How much does a dual G5 help programs like photoshop, illustrator, etc compared to a single G5 of the same speed?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
http://www.barefeats.com/g5.html

If the applications take advantage of the second CPU, and the ones you listed do.

Then then the 2nd CPU can have an impact, especially if you spend all day working with those apps.

But, if you do spend all day with those apps -- you'd also want to have the extra memory capacity of the PowerMacs vs. the iMac G5 (since having too little memory can have an adverse impact.)

believo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
i'm considering a dual G5 1.8... i currently use an eMac G4 1.25 ghz, 1 gig RAM and someone has offered to buy it from me for almost what i bought it for a month ago... so I'm curious as to how much difference there will be in the two machines (besides expandability) if I upgrade.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
At the least, it will be 25% faster in raw clock speed. Then factor in the bus, which is about 6 times faster, and the faster RAM, plus the second processor... you're looking at a nice little speed bump :D

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
AFAIK, even OsX takes advantage of dual processors. I was looking into a dual 533 G4 when I bought my PM, and the price over speed advantage wasn't there, unlike the new DP G5's. My Single 667 out performs the dual 533 in X-Bench, so there was no real advantage of dual processors over the single. The G5's on the other hand, have a higher bus speed,t he faster the CPU gets, so with a 1.25 gig Bus in the dual 2.5, the speed advantage will be huge, compared to the 1.8 or 2.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.