G5+Error Code -36

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jihad the movie, Dec 21, 2007.

1. jihad the movie macrumors regular

Alright, so after four years, I think one of my HDs may be on the way out.

I have a 200gb Western Digital SATA HD in the second bay on my DP 1.8ghz G5 (Rev A.) with two partitions, one is 150gb and the other was the remainder. I formatted this drive, Mac OS Extended, Journaled. When I was adding files to my iTunes music library which is housed on the 150gb Partition, I got an error "Attempting to copy to the disk 'Olives' failed. The disk could not be read from or written to."

I checked the files to see if they were corrupt, and they were not, so I tried adding them to the partition manually. In the Finder, I got Error Code -36 (I/O Problem). I tried copying the same files to the smaller partition, and I was able to, no problem.

Next, I opened up Disk Utility and Disk Warrior, and they said no problems existed on either partition. The drive passes S.M.A.R.T. status, and permissions are good. The drive isn't heavily fragmented either, and the directory is in order.

I am not sure what the problem is here, I've taken every step I know of, and I've run out of solutions. I have about 2gb Available on the 150gb partition and about 20gb available on the smaller partition. (Perhaps that's my problem?) Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In terms of what you did with Disk Utility, did you do Verify or Repair Disk (as opposed to Verify or Repair Permissions), or else use fsck on it?

3. jihad the movie thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I did Verify and Repair Disk, not repair permissions. (But my permissions on my OS X Disk are verified) I have not used fsck.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, don't bother. Should be the same thing. That's just a very odd failure mechanism....