G5, fans not speeding up

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by plodkiller, Nov 26, 2011.

1. plodkiller macrumors newbie

I have a Powermac G5 dual core 2.3. 4gb ram OSX Leopard installed. When I purchased it I gave it a good going over with compressed air to get rid of the dust bunnies. I also ran the apple diagnostic disc for the machine and did a thermal calibration which appeared to run correctly. I now find the CPU temp according to Temperature Monitor for Mac sometime reaching as high as 70C. The fans on the machine do not appear to be speeding up to compensate for this. Is there a way of manually speeding up the fans or will a PMU or some other kind of reset remedy the problem?

Any assistance would be appreciated

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Unfortunately there's no way of doing this. The G5 systems do start to hiccup a bit toward that temperature, but there's really no way to adjust it. The temperatures you mentioned should not in any way damage the system as they are within spec.

3. plodkiller thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for the info.....do you have any idea what would be a harmful temp for the cpu?

4. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

My DP 2.5 aircooled idles around 45 to 50 Celsius, but the highest i have ever seen is one cpu reach 90 Celsius, while the second one only hit 84 Celsius. That was ripping videos using handbrake. Only reason for the temp difference between cpu's is one of the heatsinks is copper and the other is aluminum.

5. plodkiller thread starter macrumors newbie

When my machine is just idling it is between 35C and 40C, I was just worried when the temps shot up and the fans didn't kick in. When I ran the thermal calibration routine I thought it was going to take off it was so loud. Any other time it is perfectly silent