G5 for basic home use?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bashveank, Sep 18, 2008.

1. bashveank macrumors member

My mom's using an Ubuntu box right now and is more or less happy with it, but she's been thinking about getting a new computer. Her budget isn't very high, around $600 tops, but I think she would like a used iMac G5 from eBay. She only ever surfs the web, checks email, and works with her photos.
    So would a G5 be a good choice, or is it too old and obsolete?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think that would work fine. But if you could spring for a Core Duo iMac instead you'd be that much better off. A bit more future proof.

3. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

are you needing a headless mac specifically?

if so, a newer mac mini would probably outperform an older G5, and with a much smaller footprint obviously

d:apple:

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It would work, but you could get a Mac Mini for that price. The mini would be a better investment, especially if Snow Leopard drops PPC support.

TEG

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How much is a refurb iMac in America?

Anyway, the Mac Mini just looks nicer and less intimidating. That, or I guess a G5 tower would be OK.

6. bbq2k macrumors newbie

bbq2k

I second that. The G5 is a fine processor, but the future of Intel is much brighter. Also, you can get a new Mini for under $600. Make sure you get some extra RAM though.

7. bashveank thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I hadn't thought of a Mini, that sounds like a better option. Thanks, all.