Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sMAChead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
I have a Power Mac G5 Quad 216L PCI-X, and i have been fooling around with the idea to put a new graphics card in my machine. Just for the purpose of playing the game Heroes of Newerth. the Requirements of the game are:

OS X

Minimum:
Processor - Intel Processor
RAM - 1GB of RAM
Video Card - 128MB fully OpenGL 2.0 / GLSL 1.20 compliant Geforce or Radeon
OS X 10.4 or newer
Network Connection Required

Recommended:
Processor - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo or faster
RAM - 1.5GB or higher
Video Card - 256MB Geforce 7800+ or Radeon X1900+
Network Connection Required (Broadband)

Supported video cards:
OS X 10.4: Geforce 8600, Radeon HD 2400 or higher
OS X 10.5: Geforce 7300, Quardo FX 4500, Radeon X1600 or higher
Note: Integrated Intel GMA 950/X3100 is not supported

but i have been reading some posts on this forum earlier and read that some of the newer graphics cards won't function as well as some earlier models? Could any one suggest a good all around card that can support this? im afraid im gonna buy something that wont work lol :confused:

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
You need more then a graphics card, you need a new computer

Read the specs carefully. Game appears to be Intel only.

sMAChead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
well its installed right now on my computer, it works, the graphics just lag every once in awhile.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I'm perplexed.

What kind of computer do you have? G5 Quads, didn't have PCI-X, they had PCIe(xpress)

All the other G5's had 8x AGP

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I have a Power Mac G5 Quad 216L PCI-X, and i have been fooling around with the idea to put a new graphics card in my machine. Just for the purpose of playing the game Heroes of Newerth. the Requirements of the game are:

OS X

Minimum:
Processor - Intel Processor
RAM - 1GB of RAM
Video Card - 128MB fully OpenGL 2.0 / GLSL 1.20 compliant Geforce or Radeon
OS X 10.4 or newer
Network Connection Required

Recommended:
Processor - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo or faster
RAM - 1.5GB or higher
Video Card - 256MB Geforce 7800+ or Radeon X1900+
Network Connection Required (Broadband)

Supported video cards:
OS X 10.4: Geforce 8600, Radeon HD 2400 or higher
OS X 10.5: Geforce 7300, Quardo FX 4500, Radeon X1600 or higher
Note: Integrated Intel GMA 950/X3100 is not supported

but i have been reading some posts on this forum earlier and read that some of the newer graphics cards won't function as well as some earlier models? Could any one suggest a good all around card that can support this? im afraid im gonna buy something that wont work lol :confused:
There's your problem right there, unless the game is universal binary? What is the graphics card that you have installed in there now?

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
I'm perplexed.

What kind of computer do you have? G5 Quads, didn't have PCI-X, they had PCIe(xpress)

All the other G5's had 8x AGP

I don't know about quads, but my G5 dual core is PCI-X.
And to the OP, I don't think its you're vid card, it's def your processor.

Regardless if it installs successfully, if the minimum req is an intel processor, you def need one. That's like trying to stream HD content or playing h.264 vids on ppc...it works, but just not very well.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I don't know about quads, but my G5 dual core is PCI-X.
And to the OP, I don't think its you're vid card, it's def your processor.

Regardless if it installs successfully, if the minimum req is an intel processor, you def need one. That's like trying to stream HD content or playing h.264 vids on ppc...it works, but just not very well.

All dual-core or late-'05 G5s had PCI-express. You probably have a dual-processor model which had AGP graphics and PCI or PCI-X expansion slots. PCI-e ≠ PCI-X.

It won't install on a G5 at all if it's Intel only. The icon will have a circle and slash through it.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
All dual-core or late-'05 G5s had PCI-express. You probably have a dual-processor model which had AGP graphics and PCI or PCI-X expansion slots. PCI-e ≠ PCI-X.

It won't install on a G5 at all if it's Intel only. The icon will have a circle and slash through it.

Yup..you are correct ^^"
I think we have too many G4s and G5s here at work...lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.