G5 Graphics Issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mitoman212, Dec 23, 2012.

1. mitoman212 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a G5 7.3 2.0 dual core 3 gb of ram and ati 9650 video card. The machine is acting up a bit , the monitor will go fussy or suddenly shrink down to just a few pixels wide in the center of the screen. I believe the graphics card is at fault but I will be trying a clean install later to see if that could resolve anything.

Any recommendations for a cheap replacement graphics card ? I looked on eBay & the card still runs for around $40 don't want to invest to much to keep this machine running.

Thanks!

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

You have a dual-processor. Graphics cards for the Dual core and Dual processor models are worlds apart: Dual Processor (and single processor, single core) models use AGP cards. Dual Cores use PCIe cards. I don't know what card you will be wanting. You can always cheap out and get a GeForce 5200, but that is a bad idea- it is slower than the card in your machine. I'll wait for someone more knowledge to comment more on this issue.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Have you tried booting from a PPC Leopard installer disc and seeing how the display acts then?

Not really relevant, but I had a hell of a lot of graphical issues with my ATI Fire GL X3 showing up in distorted black and white after I messed up my 10.5.8 system and had to reinstall from a retail 10.5.2 disc without the patched ATI drivers.

4. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Is this happening right after boot up, or only after some use? If the later, could it be an overheating issue? Does the graphics card have a fan? If so, is it running?

You could also try the old dislodge, clean and reseat -maneuver.

RGDS,

5. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

I didn't check the prices for genuine AGP cards for G5, but one option is to get PC version of for example Radeon 9800 PRO and flash it with Mac spesific bios, which you can get from here:

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2

Buying guide for Radeon 9800: http://themacelite.wikidot.com/flasher-s-buying-guide-9800

I strongly recommend getting the first one in the list which is most compatible, as you can see, there are several different board layouts for Radeon 9800 cards. Radeon 9800 PRO need additional power, so you will need molex splitter cable which you connect to the molex cable of optical drive, I have only owned genuine 9800 and never installed flashed card so I don't know how long the splitter cable should be and how difficult it is to install, but flashed PC card is one option. As someone said, if you just want the machine to work, get FX 5200, they are cheap. One FX5200 I have flashed for G5.

Easiest way is of course just get genuine card.

EDIT: And of course if would be wise to make sure that the monitor itself works OK.

6. mitoman212 thread starter macrumors newbie

This happens while the computer is running for a little and then will continue to occur afterwards I have to let the computer cool off. I tried reapplying thermal paste and that didn't help resolve it.

I just got around to trying a leopard install disk and the issue crops up immediately after I start trying install osx.

I'm pretty sure its the card so now I'm just looking for cheap options.

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Bake the 9650 first. It's half dead already. People are baking 8800s mostly, but sometimes it works for 7300, 6600 and 5700. Google how-to.

If it won't help, get cheap FireGL X3 and flash it. Check eBay. Sometimes these go for ~$30.

8. Jiggly Billy macrumors newbie

I've got a 6800GT DDL if you want it. It was baked after displaying minor artifacting, but it works beautifully now! I've got a 6800 Ultra in my G5 now so I don't need it, and I always have my 9600 Pro as a backup card if I really need it.

Attached Files: