G5 Harddrive not recognized on new computer

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mattbatt, Nov 1, 2010.

1. mattbatt macrumors member

10.6.4 says "hard-drive not recognizable, format?" after I plug in my 2003 G5's hard drive to the SATA on my new computer MOBO (G5 HD formatted under OS 10.4)

Does this happen to others? I thought this should be pretty simple or was the change from 10.4 to 10.6 large enough to cause this problem?

I can always buy a SATA to USB sled or something...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What does Disk Utility have to say about the older HDD used in the G5?

3. dknightd macrumors 6502

Strange. Shouldn't be that way. I migrated by temporarily putting my old G5 disk in my new Macpro. (you can't boot off the old g5 disk, it uses a different partition table - but you should have no problem reading and writing to it).
    Maybe your disk is bad? I don't think putting it in a usb enclosure will help at all.

Edit: now I see from your trailer it looks like you are taking the disk from a DEAD g5, and putting in a hackintosh.
    My guess is it is one of those that is causing you problems. Nothing to do with 10.4 v.s. 10.6

4. mattbatt thread starter macrumors member

ok, if others have had no problems getting HD's up an running from old versions, then it could very well be the hack.

However, it recognized the blank disks fine (like my Mercury Pro SSD) of which I then formatted.

A scary thought could be that when the G5 died, something happened to the HD?? It was a MOBO failure, so it shouldn't effect the HD, but now I'm nervous...

5. dknightd macrumors 6502

answer spinnerlys question. "What does Disk Utility have to say about the older HDD used in the G5?" Maybe the disk just needs a software repair. Disks can be corrupted when their mobo fails - sometimes they can repaired.

6. Shazaam! macrumors member

Shazaam!

You need to reformat the G5 disk with a GUID partition table for use in a Mac Pro

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

correct - the older drives werent using GUID (were using some custom apple partition map) which i think they may have dropped support for recently.

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

But make a backup of the content if you take that approach! Partitioning destroys the data. You may simply want to keep your old G5 HDD as a backup because it will not be on par with new HDDs in terms of HDD performance anyway.

The easiest thing to do here if you want to save your G5 content to a Mac Pro is fitting an empty disk to the Mac Pro and the G5 disk for copying. Then you boot a SL DVD and install SL. When the option to take over content from an older Mac appears you indicate to the G5 disk. That way you get all your G5 stuff under 10.6 in your Mac Pro.