G5 having Kernel Panics

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by thatch, Jul 24, 2009.

1. thatch macrumors newbie

The computer I am having problems with is a Mac Dual 2.7 Ghz Power PC G5
    with 3.75 GB DDR SDRAM.

Moved premises at start of year - had to have a new ethernet adapter card
    fitted but no problems for about 4 months.

Then it started having Kernel Panics. It got to the stage where at one time
    it was 3 to 4 times a day. Took it to a local repair shop who put it on test
    but said they couldn't find a problem. Within 10 minutes of my switching it
    on it went again.

They changed a memory board. Still no change. Changed Ethernet adapter card.Still no change.

I have a print out of the latest system & console logs I can email if that will help an expert.

Anyone any ideas?

2. netkas macrumors 65816

you need to post panic message here, we are not telepatic

3. thatch thread starter macrumors newbie

logs

Cannot find a "panic" log despite doing a search for it.

Here is the console log - cannot post system log - too many characters.

Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
    2009-07-23 17:04:33 +0100
    2009-07-23 17:04:39.536 SystemUIServer[154] lang is:en
    Jul 23 17:04:42 Thatch mDNSResponder: Attempt to register record with invalid rdata: 262 CK515H18RU4._ttp4daemon._tcp.482311663486056. SRV 0 0 0 <<INVALID
    LABEL L
    Workaround Bonjour: Unknown error: 0
    Ignoring Quickdraw drawing between QDBeginCGContext and QDEndCGContext
    No log handling enabled - turning on stderr logging
    snmpget: Timeout
    2009 7 23 17:06:47 Acrobat Plug-in load failure: CFBundle 0x16936400 </Applications/Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional/Adobe Acrobat Professional.app/Contents/Plugins/
    Enfocus/Certified PDF.acroplugin> (bundle, loaded) *** Could not find the entry point key "MainEntryPointV2" in the plug-in dictionary
    2009 7 23 17:06:48 Acrobat Plug-in load failure: CFBundle 0x16938570 </Applications/Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional/Adobe Acrobat Professional.app/Contents/Plugins/
    Enfocus/Pitstop.acroplugin> (bundle, loaded) *** Could not find the entry point key "MainEntryPointV2" in the plug-in dictionary
    2009 7 23 17:06:49 Acrobat Plug-in load failure: CFBundle 0x1693f880 </Applications/Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional/Adobe Acrobat Professional.app/Contents/Plugins/
    Imposer.acroplugin> (bundle, loaded) *** Could not find the entry point key "MainEntryPointV2" in the plug-in dictionary
    2009 7 23 17:06:50 Acrobat Plug-in load failure: CFBundle 0x1694be80 </Applications/Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional/Adobe Acrobat Professional.app/Contents/Plugins/
    QI 2.acroplugin> (bundle, loaded) *** Could not find the entry point key "MainEntryPointV2" in the plug-in dictionary
    2009 7 23 17:06:50 Acrobat Plug-in load failure: CFBundle 0x1694c8c0 </Applications/Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional/Adobe Acrobat Professional.app/Contents/Plugins/
    Quark/Imposer.acroplugin> (bundle, loaded) *** Could not find the entry point key "MainEntryPointV2" in the plug-in dictionary
    090723 17:07:03 [Warning] Can't open and lock time zone table: Table 'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't exist trying to live without them
    /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional/Adobe Acrobat Professional.app/Contents/MacOS/mysqld: ready for connections.
    Version: '4.1.18-classic' socket: '/Users/ian/Library/Caches/Acrobat/8.0_ppc/Organizer70' port: 0 MySQL Classic (Commercial)
    No log handling enabled - turning on stderr logging

4. NIPRING macrumors 6502

Run the Apple hardware diagnostic which is on disc 2 of the original software discs. I just had kernal panics last week ran the diagnostic and it told which stick of ram was failing, replaced that stick and all is well.

5. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

6. thatch thread starter macrumors newbie

Have tested hardware

Not sure what "check for leaks" meant.

Anyway, I found some original Panther discs and inserted the Hardware Test Disc. It found that two Memory cards and/or slots were corrupt. As the memory is in pairs I removed 1 pair and exchanged the other pair with similar size memory from another (spare) mac. Did another hardware test and it now says the memory is ok. So, fingers crossed, will have to see if this does the trick.

7. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Check for leaks meant check for leaks. The 2.7 model is liquid cooled and prone to failure by leaking. Just open the case and look for signs of rust / corrosion or even just liquid on top of the power supply (the base of the unit).

Edit: I just now read the second part of your post, lawl. Glad it was the memory. But you should still be aware of the G5 being liquid cooled and the plausibility of a leak in your future.

8. NIPRING macrumors 6502

Depending on how much ram you have that hardware test can take quite a while. But I'm glad it got your mac sorted out.