G5 Imac - Do the 20" guts fit into a 17" ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hbanko, Jan 16, 2016.

1. hbanko macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I pulled a 20" G5 Imac out of the junk. At home I figured it would work - it chimes and then works an obviously broken hard disk without success until it turns off. The real problem here is the smashed screen.

Months back I found a 17" G5 Imac with missing hard drive that would not turn on. So my question is can I fit the logic board and power supply of the 20" into the smaller 17"?? Or are all components of different size?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I have service manuals for both - and I'm using info on the oldest G5 iMac (there's three generations of the G5 iMac)
    Comparing the installation for the two logic boards shows different locations for OTHER parts, depending on the screen size. The fans, for example, are in slightly different locations, and one of them would not be close to right position. The LCD inverter board is on opposite sides.
    The 20-inch RAM slots angle outwards, and the 17-inch RAM slots face to the inside, as there's not as much room.
    So, even if the logic boards are otherwise close to the same dimensions, there would be lots of other mods that you would need to do that would make the task a hobby, that may be doomed to failure.
    Bottom line, if you want a 20-inch iMac G5 to work, then you will need to find the parts that are reasonably supposed to fit in the 20-inch.

3. hbanko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your detailed response! Guess I have to wait then until I find the next 20" G5 dumped on the side of the road :).

Would have been great for watching video at the couch, bit faster and even more decorative than the free eMac I am using at the moment.