G5 Imac is dying, how to transfer itunes/apps to new computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dagogo, Aug 31, 2011.

1. dagogo macrumors newbie

Hi, the old G5 Imac where we ran itunes for many years is on it's deathbed and I just ordered a new Imac. Years ago I put our entire 300gig itunes library on an external drive so I wasn't too worried about the failing computer.

However, when thinking about how to transfer everything to the new computer, it occurred to me I might need to copy some files off the G5 or risk losing my wife's iphone apps and my daughters purchased music.

I can't seem to find a tutorial about transferring itunes that applies to my case (with all of the songs already on an external drive).

Is it that library file I need to copy? What about the apps? Where are they stored?

I will be lucky to get the G5 to boot one more time.

Thanks for any advice!

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

If you old iMac can start up in target mode let the migration assistant on your new computer do the task.

3. dagogo thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it will...in fact, I will be lucky to get it even to boot one more time...if it does,the fans race and it sort of works/freezes intermittently but I am able to copy files to dropbox or the external drive.
    (it had bad caps which i had replaced but it was never the same)