G5 iMac or G5 PowerMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacFanUK, Aug 7, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I know I've mentioned about getting a G5 iMac on the forum before and some very helpful members suggested I got a Mac Mini instead, however, my ideal setup has changed so looking for some more advice please.

Basically, what I want to end up with are the following:

1. A main computer (either a 24" iMac or a Mac Pro) - this will be used for majority of my work, such as graphic design, video editing (only light), and web development.

2. A 'test computer/server' (preferrably OSX) - this will be a kind of test bed for any PHP/MySQL I write. Maybe also act as a print server for the other office machines.

3. A laptop to take to clients, etc - this would likely run Windows via parallels or something so I can also use it to test stuff in IE.

Now as I have said before, one of my friends has got a 20" G5 iMac (2GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GB Hard Drive), and he's looking for £300 - Mac2Sell values this at £290.

However, I've just seen a Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 on ebay with 1GB Ram, 160GB Hard drive for £280 (which Mac2Sell values at £170), which although looks nicer, I'd either have to use an old 17" screen or buy a new screen.

Which would you say is the better buy and which will be a better machine for the 'test/server' machine?

2. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

If you need any kind of windows use, any G5 won't work.

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

The PowerPC machines are still more than decent machines with plenty of life left in them. However, do realize their limitations:

1. They will not run any future versions of Mac OS X - they're stuck at 10.5.x
    2. They're getting on in years now - the newest ones are hitting their third birthday

If you're still okay with getting a G5, I'd go for the Power Mac. They offer far superior performance to the iMac G5. Plus, they're much more expandable, allowing the machine to grow with your needs over time.

4. MTI macrumors 65816

With the Power Mac, you won't have a totally useless machine if the GPU or LCD conk out.

5. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

but the imac is cheaper than a powerbook

6. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Definitely the Powermac. It's got two processors, room for much more RAM, two HDD bays... Yeah you might need to buy a monitor but it'll last you so much longer than the iMac.

Depending on its age the iMac's screen might have dimmed over time. A new monitor could be needed anyway.

7. MTI macrumors 65816

What's a powerbook got to do with it?