G5 iMac ProTools Help!! Please!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kidSELLOUT, Apr 8, 2009.

1. kidSELLOUT macrumors newbie

I have a G5 iMac (first gen) that I'm trying to install ProTools on (ProTools v. 7.4, with Digi 002 interface). The computer acts normal until I install ProTools, to which it then reverts the desktop and dock to about a month ago (deleted programs and all show up in the dock, but the new ProTools doesn't). When I try to open ProTools after it restarts (with the changed desktop and dock) it gets about halfway loaded then freezes. It was installed perfectly a day ago, but then I installed the ProTools ignition pack and then it started freezing. After I uninstalled everything, I tried to install ONLY ProTools again, but this is what keeps happening. I know it shouldn't be the software (because it worked before, and it actually starts to load, but then OSX freezes, not just the ProTools load window, and after it fails to load, most large programs will fail to load too) and I know its not the Hardware interface ( because even when ProTools fails to load, the computer still reads the interface and can even be loaded up in garage band, which will also fail to load after ProTools does). Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Imac specs:
    G5 Imac 1st gen.
    OSX 10.5.6
    1.6 ghz processor (not core duo)
    1.25 gb ram (I have upgrade to 2gb if necessary)

2. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I wouldn't have said that pro tools would run that well on a G5... but anyway... try getting rid of any traces of the application that you can..... use apps like appzapper or clean app... and the built in uninstaller...

I would hope then... it might work...

Also.... try restoring from a previous backup... as protools 7 doesn't work on anything above 10.5.4..... I just had a friend who had the same problem... and I had to lend him my copy of 8!!!

Hope that this helps... It may be the time to upgrade to protools 8... it's only like £100

Jack

3. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Just to highlight the point that ProTools doesn't work with 10.5.6....

Attached Files:

4. kidSELLOUT thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, wow! Thanks alot guys! I'm new to mac and didn't realize the compatibility issues, I feel dumb. :p

Is there any way to backtrack the OS into going back to an earlier version of OSX? or would I just have to upgrade to PT8 to get it to work?

Thanks again guys! :D

5. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I would recommend just upgrading to PT8... as well... it has alot... i mean alot better midi....

However... if you cannot afford to upgrade.... I'm afraid that you might have to end up reinstalling the os...

You can reinstall the OS from your original DVD's.... but... you will then need to install the 10.5.4 Combo Update.... http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_4_Combo_Update

It is a little large... but not to bad....

Before you do all of this... you MUST have a whole disk backup... e.g. with SuperDuper or Time Machine... this will save you a whole lot of pain :D

Once you have done a clean install and installed 10.5.4 just use Migration Assistant to restore your mac's applications and settings and other stuff from your backup....

Hope this helps....
    Jack
    Oh... and don't pirate PT8.... some of us want PT to get better :)