Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
Three questions regarding the new iMac G5.

Does anyone else remember when Steve Jobs introduced the half-dome iMacs a few years ago, he siad that they had contemplated putting the "guts" behind the display, but that would have required a vertically-oriented Optical Drive. He continued to state that would prevent the use of the fastest drives. I guess they have overcome that limitation on the G5 iMac. I don't think there has been any mention of the orientation of the optical drive in the new iMac and any limitations that are imposed by that orientation.
I also wonder if the iMac G5 is a stepping stone to the G5 PowerBook? It seems like a natural progression from the iMac form factor to a portable. Since it has been reported that even Apple admits it will be difficult to make a reliable G5 PowerBook, perhaps they are working their waay up to it and gaining learning along the way.

Last item: Does anyone remember what the price was at introduction of the 15" flat-panel iMac? What was the price on the 15" CRT iMac at that time?

Thanks!

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
First: The guts behind display thing has been mentioned many times and it is NOT by anyway means, make it easier to put a G5 in a PB. Enough said. Search the forum for more "answers" about this.

The first flat panel was introduced at 1299, 1499. and 1799.

The iMac G3 at that time was at 999, 1299 for the Graphite and Snow. The last model, a 700mhz, was 1499.

jet3004 said:
First: The guts behind display thing has been mentioned many times and it is NOT by anyway means, make it easier to put a G5 in a PB. Enough said. Search the forum for more "answers" about this.

The first flat panel was introduced at 1299, 1499. and 1799.

The iMac G3 at that time was at 999, 1299 for the Graphite and Snow. The last model, a 700mhz, was 1499.
Ack I remember that time well:( I bought my 700mhz Snow iMac during the time Apple had a $200 off on the snow models:( Little did I know the new iMac was a month around the corner.
After that happened I have paid a lot more attention to Macrumors:)

coconn06

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
mowogg said:
I guess they have overcome that limitation on the G5 iMac. I don't think there has been any mention of the orientation of the optical drive in the new iMac and any limitations that are imposed by that orientation.

I don't think they have overcome those limitations. The Superdrive in the iMac (4x) is slower than the Superdrive in both the eMac and the PowerMac (both 8x).

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
coconn06 said:
I don't think they have overcome those limitations. The Superdrive in the iMac (4x) is slower than the Superdrive in both the eMac and the PowerMac (both 8x).

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 8X drives in the eMac and PM are not slot loading as the 4X is. The speed may have been a limitation to putting it in the iMac but I can't see Apple using a tray load in the iMac. Can you imagine a door popping out of the side of the computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.