G5 iMac wont connect to iBook

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
1,136
2
not sure the problem trying to transfer some files via firewire from iMac to iBook hooked firewire up no drive pops up on either tried to restart both puters with no luck any idea?
 

machobson

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
107
0
entropyjosh said:
not sure the problem trying to transfer some files via firewire from iMac to iBook hooked firewire up no drive pops up on either tried to restart both puters with no luck any idea?
To do this, you need to use the FireWire target hard drive procedure explained here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583 . Basically you start up the iBook or whatever computer you want to TRANSFER TO, and restart that computer while holding the "t" key. When the firewire symbol comes up on the screen the iBook will appear on the iMac desktop as a firewire hard drive. Hope this helps!
 

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
1,136
2
so you have to go to target disk mode to do this? i thought you coul djust plug up a mac to mac anytime and it would just pop up as a drive where you can just send stuff to it? am i wrong? like a ext hardrive
 

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
4,398
3
entropyjosh said:
so you have to go to target disk mode to do this? i thought you coul djust plug up a mac to mac anytime and it would just pop up as a drive where you can just send stuff to it? am i wrong? like a ext hardrive

I think to see the networked drives, you would need an ethernet cord of some sort. I know what you're talking about, and that's not what you would use a FW cable for.

Try just connecting them both the the internet at your house and then looking in the HD on the left side bar there for "Network". I can see both my Macs in there and drag files back and forth after entering that computer's password.
 

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
405
0
Manchester
FW is a great way to network an iMac to an iBook (it's as fast a link as you'll get as the iBook doesn't have gigabit ethernet). I use FW networking for moving large files; wifi is just too slow. You just need to configure the Network settings in System Parameters to look for the FW connection, then you can browse to the other computer through the network icon in the Finder sidebar. There are a few steps to the config, so I won't get into it here, but the Apple site has a lot of info.

<br>
 

machobson

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
107
0
Badradio said:
FW is a great way to network an iMac to an iBook (it's as fast a link as you'll get as the iBook doesn't have gigabit ethernet). I use FW networking for moving large files; wifi is just too slow. You just need to configure the Network settings in System Parameters to look for the FW connection, then you can browse to the other computer through the network icon in the Finder sidebar. There are a few steps to the config, so I won't get into it here, but the Apple site has a lot of info.

<br>
Interesting, thanks for mentioning that, something new to me.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.