G5 is Sounding like a jet engine!

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Hi Gang,

Today, I finally looked into the guts of my Dual G5, and it's simply beautiful! I've never seen such a neat and tidy computer case in my life. Not one Wire!

However: When I closed the case up, Locked it again, and plugged everything back in. The Fan now won't shut off, even when the screen saver is running, and it is so loud!

This never happened before I opened the Case, but ever since I opened about a Half Hour ago, It won't stop running until i Turn off the Machine.

Also, Ever since I opened the cover, and then closed it when the G5 is operating I can see a red light blinking through the holes of the case.

Are these two problems normal?

This is the latest Rev of the G5

Any Ideas?

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
when you opened it up what did you do. Did you just check it out or did you install something?

Have you removed the plastic strips?

And did you put the plastic shield thing back in?

Not sure of the red light. Have had mine for about a year. Never seen a red light so.... hmmm :confused:

AppleAce

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
USA
berkleeboy210 said:
Removed the Plastic strips, but haven't put the shield back in. Could that be the problem?

Just looked inside, didn't touch a thing, except for the shield
Yes, that is your problem. The clear plastic shield helps direct airflow through the inside of the case. When it is removed, that little red light comes on and the fans go full blast in an attempt to circulate air everywhere that it needs to be to prevent overheating. Put the clear plastic shield back in and you should be fine.

mbdamdg

macrumors member
May 14, 2005
St. Louis, MO, usa
Yeah the plastic helps to direct the air for cooling - without it the fans will roar forever!
(well they roar all the time in my Quicksilver, but that's a different story)

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
The little tabs at the bottom of the plastic cover trigger a button. When depressed the fans all come on (plus the red light).

swy32x

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2005
Ya, who who'dve guessed that something that comes connected to the computer affects its ability to run! ;)

No, but seriously, it's good that you got it fixed mate.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
berkleeboy210 said:
Who Knew a Little Shield could be so important?
Anyone who knows anything about computer hardware. I'm sorry but why would just go and just rip parts out of a machine, and assume you know what you are doing? I don't mean to be rude but air baffles are in high end machines for a reason, maybe try reading your manual next time.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
If you look at the bottom of the plastic shield there's a small metal strip/pad (can't remember its exact location) this completes a circuit and let's the macs thermal software know it's ok to run normally.

If this circuit isn't complete the Powermac will run at a reduced speed (believe it might be 1.4Ghz per CPU) the red light will come on and fans go into 'take off' mode!

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
risc said:
Anyone who knows anything about computer hardware. I'm sorry but why would just go and just rip parts out of a machine, and assume you know what you are doing? I don't mean to be rude but air baffles are in high end machines for a reason, maybe try reading your manual next time.
Sorry but who really reads the manual? (no offense)

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
runninmac said:
Sorry but who really reads the manual? (no offense)
I dunno, but then I never thought I'd see a post where some guy just removes parts of his G5 with NFI what they actually do. Maybe your question shouldn't of been "who really reads the manual?" but "who needs too?"?

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
i didn't read the manual when i got my G5.... took me a month to figure out you have to remove the plastic strips :eek: :eek:

Then apple gave me a new one because compusa "messed" that one up.... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.